Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted and Moldy Box Elder Beaded Bowl

Spalted and Moldy Box Elder Beaded Bowl

Besides the red streaking normally found in Box Elder, if you get lucky the wet rough outs will mold like crazy. When I looked at this rough out two weeks after I turned it and stuffed it in a paper bag I was shocked to find it growing hair. The mold was at least an inch high. I killed the surface mold with a bleach mix but I'm sure it kept growing inside the wood until the moisture content became too low to support life. When I turned and sanded it the final product the mold showed up gray. One coat of oil made the color explode into a vibrant black. I didn't bleach this bowl because I really like the yellowish color with the black. Bleaching would have produced a stark contrast with the black. It is meant to be a "user" so I finished with Livos oil. Livos is an all natural derivative of linseed oil. It has driers but they are somehow derived from the same oil. It dries very hard and is intended as a floor finish. I guess this is a bowl you can walk on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that's different! Amazing colors throughout the wood! Nice form and I really like the bead running around the outside! Very clean detail work - looks like a separate element that has been attached to the bowl after it had been turned! Cool effect!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Colorful wood and a pretty bowl Faust! The bead is a nice touch.

Really pretty bowl and nice wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Now that is a character filled bowl! Lots of color in that one and the bead detail looks great.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Well done on all aspects. Way to bring it back to a thing of beautiful
    Member Illiana Woodturners

luv the bead..pretty markings that balance well too.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Faust,
    I really like the simplicity of this bowl along with the bead - great bead. The variations in color are striking. Nicely done.

Faust it sure has some character and as said simple bowl well turned and finished, well done.
    neil

The wooden Potter

Really nice wood. The bowl looks good too.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

That's a purdy bowl. The colors are amazing.

This is one species that I haven't worked with. I think I remember hearing that it is rather soft for a hardwood. This bowl is very stricking. Great job on it.

Mike

That's really a nice looking bowl. Nice shape, nice beading, and a lot of interesting color in that wood.

very elegant shape and beautiful wood ..

WOW! NIce job on a really spectacular chunk of wood!
    mj