Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to get a grip!

There's the problem Richard! You need more time devoted to turning all year around! You have a lack of "muscle and memory!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    Those tendonitis compression bands are an aid after injury, but will do little to avoid possible injury. I've had 2 such surgeries for the first clinically diagnosed case of "camera elbow" due to cranking my Rolleiflexes for many hours a day. The best therapy was icing after heavy use, and several medications weren't of much use either.
    I feel your pain. Literally. In fact, my surgeon dislikes the bands with the little pad on them, he said it puts pressure directly on the tendon. I've had surgery, shots, etc and the only thing that has really helped is acupuncture.

Steve, thanks for the suggestions on body movement in your post. I tried that this afternoon and you were spot on. I was standing in a fixed position and when I started moving my hips, etc I could feel my grip loosening. Heck, I may have to try dancing again!

In addition to the above theories and suggestions, I'll offer this as a physician and fellow tennis elbow sufferer: whether conscious or unconscious, you may be compensating for your elbow problems (and possibly a relative weakness of the muscles of your forearm) by using your muscles and body in a way that you would not otherwise. This could result in improper technique and the subsequent "white knuckling" the tool. I find that I am most comfortable with my rubber cushioned handles or with a glove that feels "grippy" on the handle. I know I'm stating the obvious, but if you feel like the handle could slip around in your hand, you'll grip tighter than you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    In addition to the above theories and suggestions, I'll offer this as a physician and fellow tennis elbow sufferer: whether conscious or unconscious, you may be compensating for your elbow problems (and possibly a relative weakness of the muscles of your forearm) by using your muscles and body in a way that you would not otherwise. This could result in improper technique and the subsequent "white knuckling" the tool. I find that I am most comfortable with my rubber cushioned handles or with a glove that feels "grippy" on the handle. I know I'm stating the obvious, but if you feel like the handle could slip around in your hand, you'll grip tighter than you need.
    Thanks for the tip Eric! I have cushioned sleeves on many of my hand tools but I didn't know they made cushy turning tools! Is that something you add on the handles or do they come that way? I will try wearing a grippy glove on that hand tomorrow and see what it does.

Biff, I hadn't thought about it when I made my first response, but after my tendonitis incident I put 3M coban tape on a couple of my handles to give them a grippier surface, so that I could wear leather gloves in the cold shop without them sliding around on the surface. I also have used the thick mouse-pad-like soft neoprene open-cell foam rubber on a couple tools that I thought were too skinny for me. Another turner gave me the neoprene, and I don't know where to find it, but the Coban tape can be bought online or at any pharmacy. It isn't cheap. The neoprene would be my first choice if I knew where to purchase it.

Lots of good advise Biff. I would like to add to a couple of comments about comfortable stance. If the lathe is a little to high (or I guess too low, but I'm a shorty) it will cause discomfort which can lead to that same tight grip after a while even if you are otherwise comfortable in what you are doing. If the turning has a high 'pucker factor' nothing will help other than reminding yourself to loosen up. David Ellsworth talks extensively about stance, tool size and handle length and is worth checking out.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Johnson View Post
    Thanks for the tip Eric! I have cushioned sleeves on many of my hand tools but I didn't know they made cushy turning tools! Is that something you add on the handles or do they come that way? I will try wearing a grippy glove on that hand tomorrow and see what it does.

Biff, I have a Sorby (I think - I'm not home to check) handle that is cushioned.

FWIW, tennis elbow (or lateral elbow tendonopathy) is an overuse problem. One of the muscles that extends the wrist(extensor carpi radialis brevis or ECRB for those who care) begins to degenerate with overuse. Several recent randomized trials show no difference between injections, therapy, and neglect at one year follow up. There are numerous surgical treatment options which all have approximately 30% failure rates... That's a really poor success rate! The counter force elbow straps described above are intended to shield the proximal portion of the ECRB, but clinical success rates are poor. Stiff wrist braces actually have higher success rates as they inhibit the movement that causes the problem(ie. wrist extension), but they're even more valuable as an educational tool... Anything you have trouble doing with a wrist brace on is a potential irritant. Stretching and ice massage can both be helpful. By far, the most effective treatment is to stop doing the things that are irritating the tendon. For those who use a computer mouse constantly, there are ergonomic mice available which can be helpful. Lifting things with your palms up rather than palms down is helpful. Nicotine in any form is a risk factor for degenerative tendon problems all over the body including the elbow. The key to eliminating tennis elbow is to figure out which activities are responsible for your symptoms and eliminate the activities or change the way you do them.

The information above is only my opinion and should not be taken as a substitute for an actual medical evaluation... Blah, blah, legal disclaimer.

David,
    It's funny that you posted on this one. Well, it's not really funny that you posted, but as I was driving the hour drive back to Asheville (where I'm attending a meeting) after visiting with Sparky, I recalled this post about lateral epicondylitis. I wondered if you were going to add your expertise. Thanks for the (unofficial) expert input.

I will give you one more advice other than having the lathe at a height so you can stand comfortably,

and that is to get or at least give it a try.

A BIG handle on your tool, .......... that is thicker than the ones you have, thinner handles tend to have you grip them more tightly, and not so with a thicker handle.

Just try this right now just for fun, give a tight grip, bet you have a close held hand, now open your hand and try to grip tight, just doesn't go that well, and that's why a bigger handle helps to hold it with a more relaxed hold, it works for most anyone using hand tools
    Have fun and take care

I find the same issue with grip and sharp tools. If the tool is getting dull, the grip increases to force the tool to cut. Now, the instant I think the tool is getting dull, I stop and sharpen it. No need to prove tool is dull.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Fatigue was also mentioned. I rest 15 minutes of every hour spent in the shop. And I really stop, not just do something different in the shop. I take off the safety gear, go in the house, talk to my wife, have a drink, etc, etc, etc. I can go many more hours, get less tired, and get better results.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.