Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to get a grip!

Need to get a grip!

Hope you seasoned turners have some advice for me.

For some reason, I find myself gripping the tools tighter and tighter. It is a totally unconscious act and not because of tool jumping, catching or anything. The only thing I can think of is I do have chronic tennis elbow and perhaps it is a symptom of that or maybe just because I am a beginner turner although I've been doing it long enough to feel comfortable with the tools.

Any thoughts?

I think it's the latter. I was teaching a turner how to hollow an end grain HF and even though he had been turning for a few years, I thought he was going to leave permanent finger prints in the handle of my hollower! It was part fear of a catch and part being quite uncomfortable with this new (to him) turning method. He told me at our next meeting that he hadn't tried it at home yet, which confirmed to me that he was not very comfortable with hollowing yet.

When I started I did EVERYTHING wrong. I taught myself how to turn using youtube videos and too much trial and error. It probably took me a year before I stopped grabbing the tool handles like I was hanging off it while dangling off a bridge!

Your unconcious grip should loosen up as you become more confortable with the cuts and tool presentation.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I should say that it seems to happen the longer my turning session is. I start out just fine and I will have changed tools, etc. then eventually my elbow is tired and I notice I've got a death grip on the handle!

One thing to remember is that you are using a combination of muscles that you aren't used to. I also have to ask, how sharp are your tools? My wrestling match with the wood I mounted on the lathe stopped once I learned how to sharpen my tools! Now I prefer a super razor sharp edge and hone a micro bevel on the cutting edge between trips to the grinder. For me, the edge off my white 120 grit wheel isn't sharp enough. 6 seconds with my diamond hone and I am good to go!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

So Biff, the solution is to occasionally remind yourself to "lighten up!" And Scott may have part of the solution with sharp tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    So Biff, the solution is to occasionally remind yourself to "lighten up!" And Scott may have part of the solution with sharp tools.
    Ha, that sounds like my wife's words! I am pretty confident my tools are sharp since I think I have finally come to terms with my Tormek. At least if the cuts on my hands are any indications!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Scott and Jamie have some good ideas! To add a bit...practice!! I was working on a bowl set last week and I find myself barely touching the handle. At the same time, I only look at the tool on the work at the start of the cut, the rest of the time I'm looking at the top of the work...much better to judge the angle and depth of cut at other than the site of attack.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

From a movie about Cerrano DeBergerac (or however you spell it, swordsman), "Hold it as you would a bird. Too tight and you kill it. Too loose and it flies away." If you aren't hanging way out off the tool rest, you really need little grip. Another point is the tighter you hold it, the more bounce you will get. Also, the bigger and deeper the tool marks are. Getting used to turning and cutting will help you relax.

Another point from some skew master (Not Allen Lacer), "the bevel should rub the wood, but the wood should not know it."

robo hippy

One other thing (IMO) is to remember that you turn by moving your whole body - not just your arms. If you use just your arms - you will get bounce and probably get tired of hanging onto the gouge. Get a comfortable position, lock your arm to the side of your body for good tool control and then shift your weight as you cut. Takes a little practice but makes one heck of a difference in the cut and helps minimize the amount of fatigue at the end of the day.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I've been seeing allot of guys wearing one of those arm bands just below the elbow, they say it helps with elbow pain. Don't know but my help.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Biff, I had a very traumatic hand injury a few years ago with a tablesaw, and had to re-approach turning completely. I hadn't really noticed before my accident, but I seemed to be gripping tools much as you describe. After my accident, I can no longer fully bend my index finger of my right hand, which keeps me from really "gripping" a tool. I had to put new handles on all my tools, much longer, and for the most part much larger diameter than the skinny junk that comes with most turning tools. In an ironic twist, I am a far better turner now than I think I might ever have been if I hadn't nearly severed two fingers. I can tell you that now, I sharpen WAY more often. I don't use death-grips in my turning--I allow the wood to be cut by the tool. But for me, the added mass and length helps make that possible. If I find myself feeling like I need that tight of a grip, I'm doing something wrong. The analogy to holding a bird in the hand is PERFECT!

PS: I have had tendonitis due to a month or so of working 6-8 hours a day with a chainsaw doing tree work while I was searching for a nursing job. The compression bands do work, but you have to keep them so tight that they nearly cut off the circulation in your arm. There are bands that have a hard ball inside to put pressure on the tendons in your forearm-elbow joint. These work better, in my experience.
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 11-27-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: post scipt

Steve makes another excellent point on tool control, starting with a solid foundation. Feet about a shoulder width apart, and move with your whole body. If you have any martial arts experience, this is always taught. I had some, then tool up Thai Chi about 5 or so years back. I already knew all the body movements from turning. I didn't really understand what I was doing till I started that class though. Many other health benefits from Thai Chi also, but that is another story.

robo hippy

Those tendonitis compression bands are an aid after injury, but will do little to avoid possible injury. I've had 2 such surgeries for the first clinically diagnosed case of "camera elbow" due to cranking my Rolleiflexes for many hours a day. The best therapy was icing after heavy use, and several medications weren't of much use either.

I find if I'm gripping too hard sometimes I just need to take a break. The fatigue makes you think you need to grip tighter when actually your hanging on because your worn out.
    Take a break, step back and admire your work. Sometimes this really makes a difference.

I never thought lathe tools needed to be that sharp. I'll try honing next time I turn. I'm always reminding myself to loosen my grip but I only turn at Christmas and I have to relearn every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    One thing to remember is that you are using a combination of muscles that you aren't used to. I also have to ask, how sharp are your tools? My wrestling match with the wood I mounted on the lathe stopped once I learned how to sharpen my tools! Now I prefer a super razor sharp edge and hone a micro bevel on the cutting edge between trips to the grinder. For me, the edge off my white 120 grit wheel isn't sharp enough. 6 seconds with my diamond hone and I am good to go!