Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I HATE when this happens!!! - maiden voyage

I HATE when this happens!!! - maiden voyage

Well, took a few minutes to do the inaugural run of the new Delta midi 46-460.......I must say I am fairly impressed with the little machine......I put heavy cuts on it and never bogged it down in the middle speed range nor when I sanded on the low belt speed ranges.........very nice indeed!

Then it happened..... .......you know, when you almost have the turning completed! The Stonewall Jackson white oak is approximately 350 years old, and whenever I turn it, I never know what will happen! I need to get some of this wood taken care of and sent to museums, etc who are asking for pieces for their display, so I decided to sort of take care of the inaugural run and make something from the SJPT at the same time.

I was on the lid, and the thing exploded on me! I hate when that happens! No catch.......just came apart....I think it is because this tree has some serious windshake after 3-1/2 centuries of storms, winters, droughts, floods and everything mother nature threw at it. I had a good one going, but alas.......to no avail!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 11-27-2012 at 6:29 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Y'know I think it's a clean enough break I'd epoxy it and finish it up.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Yes you did have a good one going, looked to be a very nice piece. So what are you going to do? Another one or get out the glue? I agree with Jim from the looks of the picture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Y'know I think it's a clean enough break I'd epoxy it and finish it up.
    Or even some CA would work. As a matter of fact if I were turning it I would be tempted to try and stabilize the whole think after the repair with maybe a soak in some Cactus Juice. Roger you might want to look into CJ for future SJPT projects as well.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    Yes you did have a good one going, looked to be a very nice piece. So what are you going to do? Another one or get out the glue? I agree with Jim from the looks of the picture
    Steve........since I was making this one for the Miller-Kite House museum [One of General Jackson's temporary headquarters] I want it to be fairly pristine.......if that is possible.........I think I will have another go at another piece of the wood. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Or even some CA would work. As a matter of fact if I were turning it I would be tempted to try and stabilize the whole think after the repair with maybe a soak in some Cactus Juice. Roger you might want to look into CJ for future SJPT projects as well.
    Thanks for that link, JD........I might have to look into one of those vacuum units........oh, this vortex!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Thanks for that link, JD........I might have to look into one of those vacuum units........oh, this vortex!
    Roger we have cookies too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Where 'ya been Bart? Good to hear from you........are you still making curlees out in the PNW?

Cactus Juice will not fill cracks. It only stabilizes soft or punky wood. When you see cracks like that as you turn it, it's gonna come apart nearly all the time. Lucky it didn't hit you in the face!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post

10. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Cactus Juice will not fill cracks. It only stabilizes soft or punky wood. When you see cracks like that as you turn it, it's gonna come apart nearly all the time. Lucky it didn't hit you in the face!
    Thanks Richard.........I did not see the crack until after it came apart........I guess it was hidden and when it was spinning I did not notice it..........I am thankful it did not hit me as well!

I agree with Jim that it looks like a clean break. I would definitely use some good epoxy and put it together. You might be surprised and barely see the line. I did that on some Russian Olive. It worked extremely well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, I took Jim's suggestion........used CA glue [medium] and the broke piece stood proud of the surface of the bowl part. ...even though I clamped it and wrapped it with strapping tape to pull the piece in tight. Looks like I will have to find another piece suitable for this and give it another go........thing about it is that for the museum, I do not have to put a lid on it.....they said a bowl would be great, so we shall see what develops.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.......much appreciated!

Too bad it broke and your repair didn't work. I was going to suggest that perhaps burning the repair/glue line would make it look like a natural crack (Similar to the one in the lid).

Hmm, those stress cracks can be invisible. Maybe try a little mineral spirits on it before it is finished, or even a 'thunk' test where you rap it with a knuckle and notice if the sound rings or thunks. Thunk meaning a crack. Ounce of prevention..... Hate invisible flaws like that....

robo hippy

15. Thanks Reed.........I guess in retrospect, I should have stopped the lathe more often and inspected the piece......everything seemed to be going fine until pop! You know how when you are doing a piece and you seem to be on a roll.......that is where I was with this, and was at the last bit of making the lid and getting ready to shape the knob.......hard to make yourself stop when you are that near the goal line!