Thread: file cabinet drawer file dimensions

Blog Entries

file cabinet drawer file dimensions

ready to put the final touches on some file drawers. thought i had a "legal" size folder to get the dimensions for the metal tracks the file will slide on. but found i only had the regular.

does anyone have the dimensions from center to center for the 1/8 bar the file will slide on. regular is 12", but need the legal file dimensions. thx....jack

Cool file cabinet

Jack, go to www.popularwoodworking.com they have a file cabinet there that you can download and get the dementions off of it. good luck

Blog Entries
    james thx for the link but i couldnt find the file cabinet dimensions. i actually forgot about needing this till today(delivery day) for the sizes. ive got the regular size but not the legal still. ill need to cut two more grooves for the metal bars from the pictures. there 12" on center on regular. anybody have or can measure theres for a legal size folder?....thx jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are runners you can attach to the drawer sides....that sets the dimension
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Blog Entries
    thx for the option mark but not my preference for this design. do you have a legal folder for the dimensions?

i have 3 drawer stacks that are designed to fit a space versus making drawers to file "files". so the drawers are already sized to give 6 eaqual drawers. now i just need to get the file dimensions to file the drawer...thx jack

Jack,

Legal hanging files, rails should be 15 1/8" to 15 3/16" outer edge to outer edge. Go here for a picture to verify this is what you're looking for http://www.wwhardware.com/media/prod...s/tlffdia1.gif
    Last edited by Ken Waag; 04-30-2005 at 12:18 PM.
    Ken Waag

Comment from my non-woodworking side: Check the vertical clearance too. A little while ago we had a shop drawing come in with drawers noted as "file drawer". They also had a clear vertical of 9 5/8". That's fine if your hanging system leaves 0.00" between the hanging folder bottom edge and the drawer bottom, and you don't put anything in the folders that extends above them. We measured up a few samples around the office and redmarked the submittal to 11 1/4" instead. I hate it when manila folders poking up above the hanging folder go pbpbpbpbpbpbpbt against the dust panel as you push the drawer in. Dave