Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My shop just got smaller - Gloat - >> PICS <<

My shop just got smaller - Gloat - >> PICS <<

I purchased the Craftsman 22124 table saw today. With the Club Saver sale and other discounts, I got the saw for less than $700.

Here are some pics of the homecoming and assembly/setup.

It just fit into my pickup, cleared the cap by about 1". I got it out of the truck by sliding it down a pair of 2x6 ramps. This was not as hard as I expected it to be, it slid down the ramps into the garage easily and without incident. Everything comes in the two cartons you see here. The saw is one and the Biesemeyer fence is in the other.

Removed the cardboard. They use a frame made of square steel tubing to protect the saw in the carton.

Another view of the packaging. Everything was neatly stretch wrapped and nothing was damaged in any way.

All unwrapped and ready to begin the assembly.

The table top is oiled and covered in plastic in the carton. The saw is bolted to the metal frame using the threaded holes for the leveling feet.

More to come.
    Jeff

I tipped her on her back so I could attach the mobile base.

I bought the Sears mobile base that was recommended for this saw. It came with side rails for the base but the instructions said not to use them for this application. The four corner pieces bolt to the cabinet using the threaded holes for the leveling feet. I was a little skeptical about this attachment method, but it turned out to be very sturdy and the saw is very stable when the wheels are raised.

My first of two minor problems during assembly. The mobile base brackets partially covered two of the screws holding the cabinet side panel in place. I considered removing the offending screws but in the end I decided to grind a relief into the base instead. I actually had to do this to two of the four corners of the base.

I had one other little issue when I installed the blade guard. The splitter would not align with the blade to my satisfaction. I had to remove the front splitter attachment bracket and file one of the holes into a slightly elongated slot. Only took a few minutes and afterward the splitter aligned perfectly.

The rest of the assembly went very smoothly. Here she is with the Biesemeyer fence installation almost complete.

Alignment of everything was too easy to mention. Here is the saw fully assembled and just after a few successful test cuts.

Still more to come.
    Jeff

Here is a shot of my father cutting a few scraps. Notice the nickels standing proud on the table top. I stood the nickels on the table, started the saw, made a few cuts and turned the saw off, and the nickels never moved.

Fully assembled, aligned, cleaned, lubed, waxed and ready for action.

Compared to my previous saw (Shopsmith MK-V Model 500), this thing is a joy to work with. The Biesemeyer fence is perfectly accurate and slides so easily across the table.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble. I can't wait to start my next project.
    Jeff

Jeff---I reckon that would shrink your shop just a bit. It's a good looking saw,,like that big "stop" button. Have lots of fun breaking it in, and don't forget to pick up your nickle.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Congratulations, Jeff. It's great having a nice saw to work with and you have a super upgrade there! Enjoy! (We expect lots of project pictures now... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats, I have never loved Craftsman tools, but they have a winner with that saw. Wouldn't be suprised to see one make it into my shop when I upgrade.

What is the model # for the mobile base? I was under the misunderstanding that the mobile bases at Sears were not strong enough to support this saw. I need a base and if the one from Sears works I might as well pick it up there.

Good looking saw, best of luck with it.

Richard

That is a very nice saw. It looks like the blade tilts left, but the motor cover is on the right side. How is the motor mounted? Have fun.

Congrats on the new saw! I am sure it will serve you well for a good LONG time!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    What is the model # for the mobile base? I was under the misunderstanding that the mobile bases at Sears were not strong enough to support this saw. I need a base and if the one from Sears works I might as well pick it up there.
    The mobile base is #22103. The documentation says it will support up to 600 lbs. The C'Club sale flyer shows this base for $24.99 if purchased with the saw. Mine rang up at 19.99.

I am very happy with the base, it is very strong and sturdy.
    Jeff

Congrats! Nice looking unit. I'm impressed the way they crated it up for shippment Grizzly should take note!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger
    That is a very nice saw. It looks like the blade tilts left, but the motor cover is on the right side. How is the motor mounted? Have fun.
    I have no experience with other brands of saws. The blade on this saw does indeed tilt to the left. The motor is mounted with the shaft pointing to the left and the motor swings out into the side cover area when it is tilted.
    Jeff

HI Jeff~
    Thanks for mentioning the couple glitches with assembly. Will keep your solutions in mind when I tackle assembly in a couple weeks. Sears didn't have any mobile bases in stock when I got my saw yesterday so I have to wait for one to be shipped anyway.

Hi Darren~
    The mobile bases that Sears sells under the Craftsman name are made by HTC (as is their mobile miter saw stand).

Congrats, Jeff! You're set to have an awful lot of fun and I'm really glad Sears has put out a product worthy of such praise! I can remember, almost like yesterday, upgrading from my Shopsmith to a Delta contractor. WOW! What a difference and I daresay you're experiencing the same joy and then some! Enjoy, make loads of sawdust and, most importantly, be safe!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!