Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: annodized aluminum streaks???

annodized aluminum streaks???

My first attempt at annodized aluminum. see attached.
    The test piece is supposed to be a solid rectangle on the left but as you can see the engraving differs depending if there is anything to the right. I sent this pic off to trotec but figured I might get answers from you as well. Is it operator error??

Tami
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sandcarving and sublimation.
    Trotec Speedy 300/80 watt!

We have the same problem with our Rayjet 300 80 Watt try slowing your speed down

Blog Entries
    Looks like a tickle setting issue... I don't know if you can set the tickle pulse strength on Trotecs as easily as on Epilogs (it's a dipswitch there), but I have no doubt Trotec made provisions for such an adjustment.

EDIT: BTW, Bill's suggestion of slowing it down should resolve the issue, at least until you can get a hold of Trotec and adjust some settings.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The Trotec has adjustment capability in the software.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Ok Mark or Dan please explain the tickle settings to me. We engrave many items on our Rayjet that just seem like we have to go way to slow to get to engrave correctly. What exactly does the tickle do? I know we have setting to change it but I have never messed with it.

In Job Control, set to high quality - laser will always travel longest distance in Y axis - takes a bit longer but should solve the problem.

Do not mess with the tickle settings until you have tech support on the line.

My guess is that you're using a lot more power than you need. The object with anodized is not to engrave through the coating to the aluminum but to ablate it. It should have a whitish appearance.

There is also no need to use the ultra slow high quality setting for this material.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Overturf View Post
    Ok Mark or Dan please explain the tickle settings to me. We engrave many items on our Rayjet that just seem like we have to go way to slow to get to engrave correctly. What exactly does the tickle do? I know we have setting to change it but I have never messed with it.
    Tubes fire at a high rate of speed, thousands of times per second... they pulse. Without going into the physics of it, the tube tends to "settle" when it hasn't been fired lately (think in terms of milliseconds here, not minutes or hours). When a tube "settles", it takes longer to fire a pulse when commanded to compared to one that's ready. To prevent this settling, the tube is periodically pulsed (the tickle) with a very low power (won't cut, if set properly), so when it comes time to actually fire, the tube is primed and ready.

What bugs me the most is I would expect the pattern of incomplete engraving to be next to the areas of no text, and proper complete engraving next to the text (the text keeps it "warmed up", if you will). So, all of this could be due to another reason.. take it all with a grain of salt.

A good setting for aluminum is to "bleach" the anodizing... fast, and low power. On mine, that's in the 100S/20P range... Tami's machine is twice as fast at rastering (but more powerful), so I would expect her to be in the 100S/30P range, give or take.

Thanks Dan thats why I was curious. We have 2 machines the Rayjet 300 80 watt and a Xenetech 35 watt. Now while I understand that the Rayjet doesnt have near the speed of the Xenetech there are alot of substrates most actually that we can engrave faster on our lower powered machine. Its kinda weird

Talked to trotec and they had me set job control settings to high quality. It is better but still not right, I ran out of aluminum so can't experiment more.
    sandcarving and sublimation.
    Trotec Speedy 300/80 watt!

Tami

I can think of no reason why the HQ setting would improve what you are trying to do. Have you tried varying the resolution?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What settings were used? Speed/Power/PPI?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

13. Quote Originally Posted by TAMI WILSON View Post
    My first attempt at annodized aluminum. see attached.
    The test piece is supposed to be a solid rectangle on the left but as you can see the engraving differs depending if there is anything to the right. I sent this pic off to trotec but figured I might get answers from you as well. Is it operator error??

Tami
    You might want to do rectangle first before text, because the tube is getting slightly weaker while engraving also another objects in a row. Or just double the power

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teodor Pravicky View Post
    the tube is getting slightly weaker while engraving also another objects in a row.
    Uhm... what?

Yeah, lost me there and lost me on the doubling the power. Anodized aluminum doesn't take much power. Burning it too hot can cause very poor results in my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.