Thread: Design Critiques #8 Philippe Starck

Design Critiques #8 Philippe Starck

It is hard to consider current designers without mentioning Starck...from plmbing fixtures to furniture to boutique hotels , this Parisan has created new designs that have inspired many..... Many of his designs are considered classics...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 04-24-2005 at 10:36 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Interesting use of stark contrasting line/forms....curves with straight lines. The simple lines allow the materials used to be more noticeable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Interesting...even though most of these are very different, I still feel a familiarity between them, perhaps in the way the curves are used. That first one (green) could be theraputic for some folks...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love all of them because they are fun and useful. All of these chairs have unique focal points. For the green donut, the hole becomes the focal point, the wood in the wood chair is strategically angled opposite the slope of the back and little pedestal chair's contoured seat and spur create a dual points of interest. The last chair's color and graceful curves are the first things I see when looking at that chair.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    It is hard to consider current designers without mentioning Starck...from plmbing fixtures to furniture to boutique hotels , this Parisan has created new designs that have inspired many..... Many of his designs are considered classics...
    So, is the green item one of the plumbing fixtures? Looks like it should have a bucket under it. (Sorry, didn't even try to resist that one!)

Seriously, I like the way the grain is angled on the wood chairs -- keeps them from being "boring", I suppose. Can't say the "stool" has any appeal -- looks dangerous!

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I like the two bentwood chairs best. They have an organic feel to them that I find appealing. I'm not sure how comfortable they would be to sit in, however, as they appear to lack lower back support.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Over the years of seeing Starck's designs, it seems almost like 2 different designers--you can see it in the sample here, there are the more simple, purer form designs and the blob designs. I don't know if that represents his growth or is a response to particular clients, but it's certainly interesting to see such a range of work from one designer.

First I am not familiar with Starck. I wonder if Mr. Starck ever sat in one of these for more than 5 min. Not one of them appear to be comfortable. The curved wood back is gorgeous, but without a center back cushion it would soon be uncomfortable.

When Sam Maloof designed his chairs and rockers, he took into consideration the function. He made them comfortable first, after all they're chairs, you sit in them. The beauty and art of his pieces came about because of the way he constructed them.

I'm sorry, but a lot of designers are after the shock value, to give their pieces notoriety and press. The question I would ask, if money was no object, would you have these in your home?

Earl,

Actually the Stark cairs are quite comfortable....they are popular throught the world in cafes and restaurants
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,
    I can't make an arguement for others, against the comfort of his chairs. I have not sat in any, I did say they appeared to be uncomfortable.

I did go to his site and looked at quite a few of his designs. Rather than get into a dissertation of good and bad design. I will say he has a few pieces that appear to be comfortable chairs, but on the whole most IMO appear to be less than accomodating to the curves of the human form.

I'm probably biased, because I not only have to design a piece, I construct it also.

Mark, these Design Critiques are good for stimulating the thought process. I haven't participated in many,I hope to have something to contribute to others in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Kelly
    Mark,
    I can't make an arguement for others, against the comfort of his chairs. I have not sat in any, I did say they appeared to be uncomfortable.

I did go to his site and looked at quite a few of his designs. Rather than get into a dissertation of good and bad design. I will say he has a few pieces that appear to be comfortable chairs, but on the whole most IMO appear to be less than accomodating to the curves of the human form.
    I'm willing to believe they're comfortable, but visually, I think they fare rather badly compared to their "competition" (e.g. Eames).
    http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/eamesmplounge.html
    http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/eamesmpchair.html
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 07-31-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold
    Seriously, I like the way the grain is angled on the wood chairs -- keeps them from being "boring", I suppose.
    Hmm...I almost wonder if that angle is a deliberate "design" feature, or if it just works out that way to minimize the waste while laying out the raw material for production.

The chair at the bottom is nice....the others.....not for me.