Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restocking fee for machinery?

Say you bought a power feeder directly from Delta. Based on every other feeder of theirs that you had seen and used, the wheels were flush to the side of the feeder that you would run against the fence. There is no picture or drawing or dimension listed in the literature that would lead you to believe that this theoretical new feeder is any different. But when you open it up, the feed wheels are inset one inch from the side of the feeder. This means that you cannot run the wheels as close to the cutterhead as you need to for skinny strips. There is no modification that you can make to the feeder to allow you to get any closer.

My situation was very similar. This has been an interesting discussion, and I do agree that some people abuse return policies, to everyone's detriment but theirs. I guess that it never occurred to me that a restocking fee would apply to me in my specific situation. Like I said earlier, my first post was a gut reaction of surprise that I might have been on the hook for close to $200 just to open a box...
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Good point, David, but in this case the mfgr and seller are the same. So they also were the ones who did not do a very good job with the literature. For many people, the dimension that I needed probably would not be a big deal. But the way the product was designed differs from similar products in this one little area that ended up being the dealbreaker for my application. And I was using it for its intended purpose.
    J.R. I'm with you totally now. Dave

Blog Entries
    I'll jump on with two comments, one, 10% in this case might be warranted if this is a special order or not normally stocked item that would be going back to manufacturer. Maybe even 15%. Your lucky if not charged. I'd still argue if you are good customer. Best Buy will take returns with receipts with no restocking charge. As long as you don't open up the package. And most items offer up clear evidence they've been opened. They, as are all stores, retail or wholesale are there to sell items, not take them back. And as far as the big boxes are concerned, Generators are the only thing I've ever seen marked especially well by no returns accepted.

Just to clarify, Best Buy dropped their restocking fee two years ago.

For machinery returns on a non-stocked item, a restocking fee seems in order especially since there may be high shipping costs for the dealer to return the item. In this case, the item is substantially different than advertised so the manufacturer should be taking the hit. I did return a DJ-20 jointer unopened and exchanged it for a Powermatic 6" jointer instead. There was simply no way to get the DJ-20 into my basement due to the size and weight.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 12-01-2012 at 9:49 PM.

Example- Here is the return policy from a popular woodworking tool dealer that just happens to have a showroom in the same town, Bellingham, WA, as the OP. So the policy is not uncommon.
    http://www.grizzly.com/qa_questions.aspx#RETURNS

I think the key here is the OP got a refund with no restocking fee. Sounds like the company in question took care of a good customer the way they should under the circumstances.

I don't know about anyone else but I ALWAYS check a store return policy before making a purchase. I very seldom return anything, but like the OP I want to be sure there is no problem with a refund if I find out an item is not what I thought it was.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I am in the building supply business.. When BORG opened in our area, allegedly one of our contract sales guys wrote a quote for a half dozen circular saw at about $20.00 below cost so that the contractor could take it to BORG and have it beat by 10% ..

I got a call from upset BORG manager ..

Pretty funny, but not good policy..
    Reminds me of a story of a electrical contractor tired of a certain general contractor bid shopping his bid, a competitor always got the bids, so when he was asked to bid a project he put the bid together then took a risk & cut the price in half, the competitor got the bid & part way through the project the "winning" EC called the other EC to complain, bid shopping is a shady practice & he deserved to lose his hind end.

While I don't like them, if I know *before* I make a purchase, o.k. I'll factor it in to my decision. It's going to enrage me if it gets announced in "surprise!" fashion after the sale.

Before I buy anything I check the stores return policy. Online or brick 'n mortar. It avoids much unpleasantness down the road. If it's not to my, the consumer, liking, then I just don't buy. The retailer can't possibly be unhappy, I followed his/her rule.

Best Buy - not my favorite place to buy things. I recall one episode where I bought one of their extended warranties on an item. When it failed and I needed to invoke that warranty, without the receipt they wouldn't do a thing for me. It was like they didn't know me. Never mind all the product registrations and the like I've filled in over time. I did ultimately find a receipt for the item and was taken care of after that. But it shouldn't take finding the original receipt printed on paper with disappearing ink.

Have you noticed that? All the receipts I've gotten from retailers, *any* retailer, that uses a cash register with a thermal printer for receipts, will fade to white within a couple of years. Just about the time you may need it for a warranty claim. Nowadays I scan and copy such receipts before filing them away.

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Say you bought a power feeder directly from Delta. Based on every other feeder of theirs that you had seen and used, the wheels were flush to the side of the feeder that you would run against the fence. There is no picture or drawing or dimension listed in the literature that would lead you to believe that this theoretical new feeder is any different. But when you open it up, the feed wheels are inset one inch from the side of the feeder. This means that you cannot run the wheels as close to the cutterhead as you need to for skinny strips. There is no modification that you can make to the feeder to allow you to get any closer.

My situation was very similar. This has been an interesting discussion, and I do agree that some people abuse return policies, to everyone's detriment but theirs. I guess that it never occurred to me that a restocking fee would apply to me in my specific situation. Like I said earlier, my first post was a gut reaction of surprise that I might have been on the hook for close to $200 just to open a box...
    Whoa, this changes everything about my view of the situation.

While I normally side with the seller when someone opens a package, and think 10% is very fair (it probably costs them more), you have been caught by something that borders on a manufacturing defect.

Wheels not flush to the housing on a power feeder? That's an extremely unconventional and dimwitted design flaw, which no customer should be reasonably be able to predict. I thought you were talking about buying a table saw which didn't fit through your doorway or something, in which case you should pay restocking fees and say sorry for causing so much trouble.

This manufacturer deserves nothing but a bad reputation in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Put the charge in dispute with your credit card company ...
    READ THE THREAD!!!!! He wasn't charged a fee.
    Too many people read 3 messages of a thread.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2012 at 3:29 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    READ THE THREAD!!!!! He wasn't charged a fee.
    Too many people read 3 messages of a thread.
    I read the whole thread. He got a phone call after the return stating a 10% restocking fee. He may yet be charged the restocking fee.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-02-2012 at 3:29 PM.

Tough crowd!

If you'd read the thread carefully you would be aware that the voice mail, picked up later, was from the original call of inquiry, not from the return personnel.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

This whole situation is pretty straight forward - if you wanna play you gotta pay. Re-stocking fees are painfully common. If you ordered in a widget and then you decided it wasn't for you then I see a re-stocking fee in your future. If you are a good customer with the supplier then I see the potential for negotiation or forgiveness. 10% is a gift. 25 % is not unheard of and in my experience the bench mark. We all need to be responsible for our actions and sometimes this costs money. Whining is pathetic. I know that even good/nice guys whine (me included) but man up and carry your own water. Take the time to consider the cost involved in the suppliers actions which he undertook to satisfy your request. $190.00 would likely not cover them. And yes I understand and have read THAT THE OP HAS NOT BEEN CHARGED A RESTOCKING FEE for those who are CAP oriented.
    Last edited by Chris Fournier; 12-02-2012 at 6:23 PM.