Thread: Factory Seconds

Blog Entries

Factory Seconds

I was lucky enough to be one of the people who was able to purchase a "factory second" or blemished Veritas plane from Lee Valley during the Cyber Monday sale. Well, it arrived today and I certainly can't find whatever issue caused Veritas' inspector to kick it to the curb. It certainly looks and acts like a perfect new plane in every way. So thanks to Veritas and Lee Valley for a great deal.

It does beg the question, however, if Lie-Nielsen ever sells any "seconds".

Has anyone heard of them doing so?

Mike

Same experiance here. I was lucky enough to get a few rejects and I am struggling to find anything wrong. The only indication was a "seconds" label applied to the outside of the box.

I think I remember seeing some LN seconds on ebay. Just saw handels I think not a complete unit.

BCM

Me too. I haven't studied my jointer in intricate detail, but I didn't see any defects. Definitely a good deal.

Mine came the other day. There are a couple marks that would of appeared after some shop time. I guess we all did ok.

Eric
    I keep cutting and it is still too short.

A few years ago I bought a LV second, couldn't find anything at all wrong with it; so I asked Rob. Turns out one side is very slightly thicker than the other, I mean "very" slightly. Pretty amazing standards they have.

I think we all did good! Thanks, Rob!
    Maurice

I ordered the low angle block (was too late for the shoulder plane) and it arrived yesterday. First, kudos to LV for throw quick delivery. Secondly I was able to spot the defect but only because I looked for it. Mine had a very small pit from the casting on the side. Its literally the size of a pin head.

I'm happy. Just wish I had put more thought into the order as I needed some other items and now I'm going to have to pay shipping twice

I didn't really think my order through... I was able to email the Cus't Service team and they were able to change my order before it shipped. I LOVE the team over / up there.

Thanks again Rob.

Ok, I was able to spot the defect on my larg shoulder plane: the brass depth adjustment knob is slightly off center on the threaded rid. It affects function in NO WAY what so ever. Simply an aesthetic thing, if you focus on the knob when you turn it.
    Maurice