Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Way To Renew Push Pad Stickiness?

Any Way To Renew Push Pad Stickiness?

I've got a bunch of push pads that I've collected. They originally came with machines. I've noticed that they've lost their original stickiness. Is there any way to renew the surface stick?

I removed the sticky material and replaced it with sandpaper. Try cutting and using a solevent to disolve the glue to remove the material. I just sprayed adheasive 100 or 120 grit paper to the botttom of my pad.

Those push pads Rockler sells sure grip like a gorilla. They're reported not to lose their tackiness, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Those push pads Rockler sells sure grip like a gorilla. They're reported not to lose their tackiness, either.
    Phil, can you be more specific about which pads these are?

I have some 30+ year old push pads from Shopsmith that I renew occasionally by wiping with DNA. YMMV

spray adhesive and coarse sandpaper

I use platen cleaner.
    I have a bottle of it left over from when I serviced/worked on dot matrix printers, which is why I use it.

Back when I did that sort of work, if we ran out of platen cleaner, we'd just use alcohol.
    Alcohol works ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Phil, can you be more specific about which pads these are?
    These:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&site=ROCKLER

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Thanks. Just ordered two.

I used to use sandpaper, but went to this

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...10,43466,32184

A couple of strips on my push blocks and they work like a charm. I've been using them for a couple of years only, so long term results may vary.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I have a pile of old mouse pads that were left over advertising ... cut them up & glue them to the bottoms of those orange thingies.

Blow off with air and wipe down with water. If they have become glazed then they are gone. Remove the padding and replace with sandpaper or new padding.

Lee Valley sells a high friction padded material with a self-adhesive back, in disks and sheets. Look for it under "bench pucks" on their website. It works very well.

I bought new push blocks when mine started to slip, but the new ones slipped too. Turns out my jointer blades were dull. Sharpened the blades and my push blocks didn't slip anymore.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    Lee Valley sells a high friction padded material with a self-adhesive back, in disks and sheets. Look for it under "bench pucks" on their website. It works very well.
    Just bought some of this stuff. I hope it works well and is sticky.