Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best router for router table

best router for router table

I am looking for a new router for my table, my craftsman crapped out. I was thinking a fixed speed 1.75 hp from Porter Cable, or should I go with more HP?

I have a variable speed PC 890 in mine.
    If you stay with fixed speed, sooner or later you'll want a speed control for the big cutters.
    The PC 7518 is a good router for the table, especially if you plan on using the larger cutters often.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I agree, you don't want a single speed router in the table, there are just to many times you need to slow it down.

I think I would go no lower then a 2 1/2 HP, there are a bunch of them out there and to ask which is the best is like asking what is the best car.
    I had a Bosch 1617EVS for a few years and have now upgraded to the PC 7518, I really don't know that I needed to upgrade but I did. I made a lot of raised panels with the Bosch with no problems at all.

More power means the router will have an easier time, so it's feasible that a bigger router could even last longer. Variable speed is a must for a RT. Some of the better 15 amp routers are the Milwaukee 5625, PC7518, Bosch 1619, DW625, Hitach M12V2, Freud FT3000, and Triton. A good 11-13 amp router can work fine too, but they work harder.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You can't go wrong with the big PC7518, particularly if you are using bigger cutters. These pop up used, but not too often.

I believe the PC 7518 and/or the Milwaukee 5626 are the two best table routers available..

I have had a Milwaukee 5625 in one of my tables for 10 years. On the 3rd set of brushes and 2nd switch. For raised panels, can't beat it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I believe the PC 7518 and/or the Milwaukee 5626 are the two best table routers available..
    Ditto. I've been running a Mil 5625 almost daily for about 6 years without a hiccup. I call it the locomotive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The big thing will be how much do you want to spend and how much power do you need, as I stated I use a Bosch 2 1/4 hp in my table for a few years and made raised panels with it with no problem. Now I am sure if I was doing raised panels all day long the Bosch would just not handle it.

A Bosch 1617EVS with both bases will run you under $200 and the PC 7518 will run around $350 so I think it all comes down to what you can afford and need.

Im thinking this is the one I will get. Seems enough power!
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...&keywords=7518

Jim, I have that one, it's a beast of a router. I'd say it's ideally suited to permanent table mounting. I found it somewhat unwieldy as a hand-held due to its weight and bulk. Seems as though the the requirements (hand vs table) are in direct opposition to each other, and this guy definitely favors the table.

Does anyone know if they make a above the table holder/adjuster for the 7518 router?

Soft Start and and anything that may help w/dust collection are two key priorities I would use in selection. Lots of HP and speed control is also important

I have the Pinnacle- Woodpecker router lift. It is a very nice lift. I use it with the PC 7518 router.

I just looked at Grizzly website, they have the 5625-20 for $231, seems a awful good deal, anyone else see that?
    Last edited by Jim Riseborough; 12-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.