Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best router for router table

Many people mount the 7518 in a premium router lift, it's heavy enough that the router lift turns adjustment chores into a precise and easy operation.

I have the 7518 mounted in an original Benchdog lift, but Woodpecker and Jessem also have many satisfied customers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Im thinking this is the one I will get. Seems enough power!
    http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...&keywords=7518
    Jim,
    I have this one in my table:
    http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TRA001-...=triton+router

It has the added feature of a built-in lift. No need to add one. Plus, its about $35 cheaper.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Does anyone know if they make a above the table holder/adjuster for the 7518 router?
    I have mine in a Jessem Master R Lift II and it works very well, I am sure the manufactures have good ones also.

One thing I will say about the PC 7518 and that is I was not happy with the collet at all and bought a Precision and it is one sweet collet.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=collet

What I found was the snap ring was the wrong size.

Blog Entries
    I just looked at Grizzly website, they have the 5625-20 for $231, seems a awful good deal, anyone else see that?
    It is a good deal. I have 2 and paid more than that for each of them. The PC must be $100 better . Seriously though, both the PC 7518 and the Mil 5626 have a good fan base. We would have to have some folks who have bought units within the last year chime in to see if any of the manufacturer's incestuous merging, branding, painting wars have effected either of these fine tools. I sincerely hope not but, other favorites have come and gone.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Jim,
    I have this one in my table:
    http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TRA001-...=triton+router

It has the added feature of a built-in lift. No need to add one. Plus, its about $35 cheaper.
    That is what I use, too. Hartville Tool with wn15 in the coupon code gets the price to $245.65 no tax, no delivery. I use the Woodpecker plate which is drilled for the Triton and works great. NO LIFT REQUIRED!!
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

I just looked at Grizzly website, they have the 5625-20 for $231, seems a awful good deal, anyone else see that?
    That IS a good deal. I thought my 7518 at $309 was good, but that's a winner!

Bill H - did you get your free sander yet? Mine is apparently coming in January, despite having bought the router in August!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    Bill H - did you get your free sander yet? Mine is apparently coming in January, despite having bought the router in August!
    No, I got the letter that they were out of stock until January just like you I am sure.

Mark, the $231 is for the Milwaukee, the PC 7518 is at $349.
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 12-03-2012 at 5:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ward View Post
    That is what I use, too. Hartville Tool with wn15 in the coupon code gets the price to $245.65 no tax, no delivery. I use the Woodpecker plate which is drilled for the Triton and works great. NO LIFT REQUIRED!!
    I also have the Woodpecker plate. I got mine around this time last year. It was on sale for $199 at the time and went up to the $289 shortly after the 1st of the year. It is everything I wanted and more in a large table router. I actually used it as a hand held while building my table, and then mounted in the table when it was complete.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The Porter Cable router arrived yesterday, and its a monster. I get some bits tonight, and give it a try. Its like holding a tank in your hands!

The Porter Cable router arrived yesterday, and its a monster. I get some bits tonight, and give it a try. Its like holding a tank in your hands!
    As I was reading this thread I was going to suggest you get the "motor only" version. It can be had for $270 shipped. Well... you will like yours regardless.

If anyone is interested, the link Jim showed at Amazon for the 7518 shows 325.00 right now. I bought mine 7 years ago from Amazon. Shame they don't have the same or similar deals they had back then. I won't tell you what I paid. I have it in the Woodpecker PRL original lift. Couldn't be happier! Used it Sunday and Monday building a new clamp rack. Sweet setup. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I would opt for a fixed speed router with an external speed control that you can attach somewhere convenient on your table (I don't think any of the external speed controls work with variable speed routers). I'm using a Makita 3612 with an external speed control, and it works well.

Well, I have got both routers now, so im happy, figure $250 for each one. Thanks for all your help. gonna play with them this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Sperr View Post
    I would opt for a fixed speed router with an external speed control that you can attach somewhere convenient on your table...
    In addition to not working with VS routers, the external controls aren't the best solution for another reason. Since the external control only reduces power to the motor (no feedback), the torque drops off rapidly with the speed, which is pretty much the opposite of what you need with large cutters. The integral feedback speed controls apply power / torque as needed to maintain RPM. An ideal solution would be to separate the integral feedback VS circuitry from the motor housing. At one time Milwaukee had such an offering for it's big 5600 motor, but I've not seen it anywhere in long while.
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    In addition to not working with VS routers, the external controls aren't the best solution for another reason. Since the external control only reduces power to the motor (no feedback), the torque drops off rapidly with the speed, which is pretty much the opposite of what you need with large cutters. The integral feedback speed controls apply power / torque as needed to maintain RPM. An ideal solution would be to separate the integral feedback VS circuitry from the motor housing. At one time Milwaukee had such an offering for it's big 5600 motor, but I've not seen it anywhere in long while.
    The external control I use from MLCS claims to have electronic feedback, so that you wouldn't lose torque at lower speeds when you needed it. Here's a link to the product description. I haven't taken any big passes with larger bits since I set it up, so I don't know how well it works in those situations.