Thread: Turned Jewelry Box ??

Turned Jewelry Box ??

Here is a new one!

Has anyone tried turning a Jewelry Box on a lathe ? Seen all sorts of square style Jewelry boxes, but never seen one that had been turned on a lathe .

No...but I just pulled out my note pad...idea in the making!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Blog Entries
    Clarence
    Funny you should bring this up but my brother in law just requested one for his daughters upcoming wedding for the ring bearer to carry so I have been thinking of a design and a way to make it useful after the wedding.

You may want to check out Ray Jones Woodcrafts site. Here is a link:http://www.rayjoneswoodboxes.com/

Check out his very special boxes section. These are some very interesting and inspirational pieces.

Clarence, I would not think a turned jewelry would be large enough. As to Mike's question, just make a small lidded box cut two semi-circular pieces of foam, cover them with two pieces of velvet. Once the ring is removed, the velvet and foam could be removed and the new bride would have a nice keepsake for small items.

My Daughter-In-Law wanted me to make her and my Granddaughter Jewery Boxes. I didn't want to gear up for flat work again, so I turned them two boxes they could use as keepsake boxes instead. Here is what I came up with.

Seven and a half in diameter and three inches tall.

PC020070.JPG PC020069.JPG

good articule and instructions in American Woodturner october 2012 page 47-51 by Joshua Friend

some finished jewelry boxes on page 52....my favorite is Bonnie Klein box

I turned a really weird jewelry box for my granddaughter a couple years ago.......a spider.

spider jewely box with eyes 1.jpg spider jewely box with eyes 2.jpg

I did Turn a Jewelry box for my to become LOML in 1966 IIRC, as to is it big enough ??, well I know I've seen it with the lid up for there was too much in it, though lately she has been giving some of her pieces to DIL and grand daughters, especially things like earrings she has a harder time with to get closed etc.

The body part is made of a very hard and dense tropical wood (forget the name) (I got it from a sayer in town were I would do some maintenance and other mechanical work for), the wood in question was used by gold-smiths and jewelers for things like spinning gold rings, he would bring in a whole log and part it up when needed, sat for years usually.

I turned a ledge in it half way and turned a lid and tray with knob to lift it out, they were made form Palisander, again free wood and beautiful.

I did have to return the lid at one time as it had bowed a bit, fit only one way as both the body and the lid did move a little, she still uses it and does like the looks of it.

Oh yes it is about 10" and 4" high
    Have fun and take care

The October 2012 vol 27 of American Woodturner, AAW journal, has a article about jewelry boxes, but only has sections and not a lift out try like Leo described. Maybe that is an improvement to article.