Thread: Five years in the making......

Five years in the making......

Actually, it only took about 10 minutes for the actual doing. The thinking part took about 5 years...........

I was using an old wheeled music stand for my hood: rolled it back and forth as needed. Piece of T-track, piece of scrap wood as a hold-off, 1/4" bolt and a knob.

I know I've never seen this before, because I would have stolen the idea at the time. So much easier to move the hood and so much easier to clean behind the lathe without the wheeled contraption.

The other title I was thinking about was "whither thou goest, I will go" since this now has to follow the headstock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I will ask for more Photos but this are a good hood

3. pretty nice dust collection setup......sometimes and idea just has to cook until it comes to maturity! Here is a similar set up I did for my DC behind the lathe using the big gulp hood. Mine has a sliding tongue and groove base set atop a rollerstand minus the roller part. It slides in and out easily and I can come up close depending on the size turning.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-03-2012 at 4:03 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Man I so get this. Looks like your big gulp should do well. I have been using an old mic stand and gooseneck or some magnets. So I have been running this dust hood thing around in my head for over three years. Seems there should be a better way, here is my recently completed rube goldberg. Working out pretty well, but I am already tossing around version 2.
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 12-02-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Man I so get this. Looks like your big gulp should do well. I have been using an old mic stand and gooseneck or some magnets. So I have been running this dust hood thing around in my head for over three years. Seems there should be a better way, here is my recently completed rube goldberg. Working out pretty well, but I am already tossing around version 2.
    Mark I just duck taped the bendable part of a goose neck lamp to my dust collector hose. The goose neck is stuck on a steel rod that is secured to the lathe. Bend it anywhere I want it to suck.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Huh.

I always thought we should just let the chips fall where the may....

Seriously, it looks greart, but I'm trying to figure out where the knob is, and what you've bolted this scrap wood to?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim,

I drilled a hole about 1/2 way down one of the long sides. The knob is black, so may be hard to see in the pic.

The hood has a flange on the edge, so I used a piece of 3/4" x 2", about 7" long, to shim it out.

I'll try some different pics later today.

If there had been a wall there, I would have probably done something similar to what Mark did above.
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I have a big gulp just sitting behind my lathe and it is hard to control where it sits. It may need an upgrade like what you did. Thanks for sharing your idea.

I tried a big gulp with magnets and clamps and it finally ended up in the barn junk pile, it may still be there. I just sweep the chips together under the lathe then carry them out in a scoop shovel. I like the idea that it moves with the headstock. I just don't see any set up as very effective. I need a new snow shovel but the prices are kind of high because of the big snow storm we just had, maybe spring.
    Fred

OK, here's some more pics that may shed some light.

Pay particular notice to the drywall screws inseerted from the flange into the end of the scrap wood. I spared no expense.........................

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Here is my version of the Big Gulp. I only use it when sanding. It simply drops in bewtween the ways and slides left and right as needed. I cut a slot in the plywood base that allows the hood to be moved in and out according to the diameter of the piece. I beveled the back of the base to help the hose to slide over it more easily when adjusting the hood...it made a huge improvement in function. Star knob, bolt, and a couple of washers.

Glenn

IMG_0081.jpgIMG_0083.jpg