Thread: Done with Good Intentions

Done with Good Intentions

At least, done with this one!

It started to remind me more of a jar than a vase, so when I hollowed the neck area I turned the opening at a slight taper (widest point at the rim), with the intention of turning a stopper type lid. I didn't want to turn a ledge on the rim in case I decided I liked it better without the lid.
    Once I got the taper on the stopper end turned to fit, I started working on the knob, but design-wise I was drawing a big blank, so I just made a simple knob.
    I turned the lid from mesquite knowing that I would be dyeing it a dark color. I don't have any black dye, so I started out by mixing up and applying some dark red, then I added some dark blue to the mix and applied. That left me with a dark purple, which I knew would result from red and blue, but it did get me the darkness I was looking for. I then added some dark brown to the mix and that toned down the purple enough so I was happy with the color.

The form is 8" x 5" (9" with the lid), finished with a few coats of antique oil.
    I like it both ways, but I think I prefer it without the lid. Maybe I'd like it better with a different knob. In any case, it beats a coaster !

PICT0005.JPG PICT0006.JPG PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG PICT0009.JPGPICT0001.JPG PICT0007.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

2. That is a beautiful piece of work K! The grain and the form are very nice.....good job on mixing colors to come up with something that compliments the grain in the wood........nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Either way is good to me. but I suspect the lid now, if made smaller or a different shape would not dominate as it tends a the moment
    neil

The wooden Potter

Looks good Kathy. A pretty wood and nice combination of colors!

Great looking piece Kathy. I like it without the lid.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yup. That's a jar. No doubt. I absolutely like the lid which states with no uncertainty that this is indeed a lidded jar. Sweet!
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 12-02-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

​WOW, Love that wood Cathy, and no I don't think it needs the lid, the vase doesn't need the lid, it's pretty prefect as is
    Have fun and take care

I agree, better than coasters. Lovely piece of wood and form.

I think it's a great piece either way.
    Nice job Kathy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

It's a jarvase. And, I might add a mighty fine one.
    faust

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    I've still got a few more pieces of this wood left, so I may explore some more variations on shape once I'm finished with the coasters (working on the last blank now which should get me another 10 and finsh them up!).
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.