Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

3 Dec 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
    Today, 29 years ago...I married the LOML. Today, she's still my best friend, my companion, and I love her more today than I thought I ever could. I just want to say to her right here in front of my woodworking family: Happy Anniversary Darling.!! I love you!!

Some will be shocked by my next statement, but it's true....I started turning a bowl in the shop this past weekend. Needless to say that I was nervous about it because it's been a few years since I've stood behind my lathe and turned a single bowl of any kind. I also found that my sanding pads for my drill have dry rotted and fallen apart. I guess it's back to hand sanding for now, but hey.....at least I'm turning again.

Played bass at church yesterday and took the family to see the Christian group FFH last night. It was a good concert that we all enjoyed.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    It rained here all weekend. Saturday was a lazy day as I tried to recover from a hard work week. Yesterday I re-hung our fence gate that the painters mis-hung. Additionally, I worked out the finish schedule for my cabinet and did some remedial sharpening on various chisels and planes. I try to leave everything sharp before putting back, but occassionally you use a tool for a small task and it goes back.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I milled the last remaing ash log into lumber and cleaned up the mess.

The mill has now gone to Tom's house for good.

It was fun, and I obtained about 1,200 BF of ash in the process.....Rod.
    18 Inch Board.jpg

P.S. Here's a photo of one of the 18 inch boards obtained from the last log, prior to ripping it in half.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 12-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Rod, isn't milling lumber the best. I went out to my dads and cut up 1 walnut, 3 big hackberries and a cedar log Sunday morning. A nice little stack of lumber for future projects. I still had time to plane a few boards and pull the knives for sharpening.

Saturday was spent deer hunting. I got mine before 9am, we saw lots more but noone else could quite seal the deal. First time processing it myself... probably not gonna do that again. Church Saturday night then out to see some old friends.

I made it home last night in time to turn the Christmas lights on before my wife got back from her mom's. I even made time to stop at Menards to pick up a couple Jorgensen Cabinet master clamps (they had a great sale last weekend). Ended up getting 2 24" clamps for $45. Overall a great weekend.

Ryan

My daughter asked me to make a cane with for her to use as she recovers from hip surgery. it was not to be a walmart little old lady cane. it is a maple shaft, cherry head, with the shaft woodburned into a vine and leaf pattern. I would upload pics but the site says they are too large, not sure how to make the file size smaller

Carlz

Sigh. I broke another large boulder last weekend so, sadly, no shop time. This one was about 10' long and probably 4' in diameter.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    Rod, isn't milling lumber the best. I went out to my dads and cut up 1 walnut, 3 big hackberries and a cedar log Sunday morning. A nice little stack of lumber for future projects. I still had time to plane a few boards and pull the knives for sharpening.

Ryan
    Hi Ryan, not sure if it's the best, however it is rewarding.............Regards, Rod.

Rod, it gets exponentially better with a fully hydraulic bandmill and powered ancillary handling equipment (skidsteer and John Deere tractor with a front end loader). We broke out about 1500 bd feet in a couple hours. It seems like everything slows down after that. - Ryan

I didn't even step foot in my shop all weekend. I got home Friday from a work trip, and immediately left with my wife and daughter and my daughter's friend to, ugh, go to the mall. Saturday morning we had a few things to take care of, then it was off to our town's annual Christmas festival which has turned into a major event. (38,000 people watched the light parade last year--we only have 1500 residents in the whole township!) I also wasted hours trying to get the last HP printer I'll ever buy working on our wireless. It would work for a while then disconnect. Sunday I helped my daughter make pens for Christmas gifts, went to buy an Epson printer which was working in minutes, and went to the middle school band concert before dinner at my parents'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    Rod, it gets exponentially better with a fully hydraulic bandmill and powered ancillary handling equipment (skidsteer and John Deere tractor with a front end loader). We broke out about 1500 bd feet in a couple hours. It seems like everything slows down after that. - Ryan
    I'm sure that would make it much better.

I built a manual mill, had a log arch to move the logs, and a cant hook to turn them.

That said, I learned things, and received about $4,000 in wood for under $500 in expenditures.

Oh, and I get to make something out of the trees devastated by the Emerald Ash Borer, which was the main motivation for me........Rod.

Okay so I am a bit late posting as I was sick yesterday.

Friday night and into early Saturday LOML and I busted our collective backsides to finish up the laundry room remodel before the new LG front loaders arrived. The remodel wasn't a complete remodel, but was fairly extensive. Botton 24" of sheet rock, all trim, texture paint etc... due to a previously failed water heater. And of course the custom built water heater stand. The lighting was swapped out from the 1980s contractor white base / clear globe pile of garbage that was in there, to a matching "Cafe Patina" flush mount fixture from Home Depot. The niple from the factory was 1" too short, so I had to get a long all thread nipple and cut it to custom length to finalize the install. The wall outlets were swapped from Almond standard sockets to bright white Decora sockets, and a Decora light switch with the night light feature. The only outlet that stayed original is the 30 amp 220V dryer outlet, which was given a bright white faceplate. The black outlet looks a little, but not too goofy with the white faceplate.

Once the new machines were delivered and installed, we had a week and a half of laundry to get caught up with as we learned the machines. I am very pleased with them for sure, and look forward to years of service from them!

Sunday we slept in, but not too late, 8:00 A.M. and took our own sweet time to get ready and go to services. We went to 3rd service so we could meet up with friends, and went out to lunch afterwards...

Big mistake...

The time visiting with these folks was great, but the choice of locale was not a good one. Both LOML and I got quite sick afterwards. Leading into having to take yesterday off from work to try to get some time to put ourselves and our stomachs back on speaking terms...

I have major work to my truck to do as well, and need to do so soon. But time ran out this weekend, and next weekend looks like foul weather. I might have to call on a friend in Santa Fe Texas to see if I can borrow his garage to do the work. Ball joints and struts. Yuck...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...