Thread: Mini Plane review, Mujingfang Smoother??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mini Plane review, Mujingfang Smoother??

The real deal in planes is this one. I was influenced into buying one of these by the results listed in Lyn Mangiameli’s excellent study on hi angle smooth planes. The plane in the picture is known as a Mujingfang smooth plane AKA as a Hong Kong Style hi angle smooth plane AKA as a SHUN-GEE LG polishing plane as marked on the box from Lee Valley. This was all at least partially clarified by Derek Cohen who told me that Rob Lee confirmed it is a Mujingfang smooth plane. Still not sure what I have but I’m settling on Mujingfang. It is available from Lee valley as their part number 07P1270. The price is $42.50 and includes a 1/8” thick hi speed tool steel blade.

Upon opening the box I find that the plane body is a fairly straight grained piece of Chinese rosewood, something that other plane manufacturers of this type may charge extra for, a nice chunk of wood. The plane is one piece and not built up construction. The wedge is of course also rosewood as well as the removable wooden cross handle used for additional hand positions as well as pulling. The first step was to inspect it to determine what kind of fettling it would need to bring it into first class usable condition. Upon checking the sole on my surface plate I was able to rock it slightly finding it decidedly out of flat. I clamped the body lightly in my vise and flattened the sole with my jack plane finishing the job on my surface plate with fine sandpaper. After final flattening I find when I pick it up I feel a slight vacuum. It was now flat and ready to test; the plane had been in three different countries, not finding it dead flat I would call normal considering the circumstances. The iron as received was in usable sharp condition but not as sharp as I would hone it myself. After blade installation I measured the mouth opening with a feeler gauge, the throat opening was a mere .005, a nice tight mouth. The blade on this plane is set at 60 degrees, a very steep angle when combined with the tight mouth should prove ideal for working with woods prone to tear out like white oak. This plane is very similar in performance and specifications to HNT Gordon smooth planes which I also have.

I set the iron using a setting block, tightened the wedge with a hammer, it was taking too big of a bite. A couple of light taps on the back of the plane body and I was there, pretty easy adjustment. The plane worked beautifully taking a type 2 chip. This type of plane is most effectively used behind a jack plane. Another side benefit of this plane is that the iron when reversed makes it into a scraper plane, a good one! Infact I have had better results with my HNT Gordon with the blade reversed than my dedicated scraper plane which has always seemed kind of iffy.

Now to my only complaint. The iron is as hard as I have ever seen, I was forced to do the initial bevel with diamond stones and finish it up very slowly with conventional waterstones. A 1000 grit Shapton had little effect as far as sharpening. I used a Norton 1000/4000 and a Shapton 5000. The final edge has not deteriorated in an hour or so of planing. For final fettling, I wet sanded the plane body with Velvitoil, overall, I am well pleased and a bit overwhelmed at how good this turned out at this price point. Derek Cohen tells me it is rated as one of the 6 best planes in the world in performance I assume for woods prone to tearout. Either way, the performance is pretty amazing.

Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Collison; 04-24-2005 at 7:37 PM.