Thread: Stanley Plane Replacement Parts

Stanley Plane Replacement Parts

What recommendations do you have for sourcing replacement parts? I've search The Bay but haven't had any success yet. In particular, I'm looking for a no. 8 type 11 (v logo) blade, a high knob and tote for a no. 5 type 13, and blade for a no. 81 scraper.

Thanks in advance,
    Brett
    Last edited by Brett Bobo; 12-03-2012 at 3:11 PM.

Are you looking for vintage parts that match those specific types (as a collector would) or do you just want them to be users?

Pretty much every major vendor that caters to hand tool users sells new blades that will work in those planes. LN and LV have their own brands of plane irons, and LV and TFWW both carry Hock blades as well. I think even Woodcraft may carry a few brands. These new irons will usually be a little thicker than the originals, but that almost always a good thing. I don't think that's the case with the scraper blade as it needs to be flexible.

As for the knob and tote, I found several totes on ebay just from searching "stanley plane tote." You could rob the parts from another plane that has a broken casting or something else irreparably wrong with it. I see these at virtually every antique store and flea market I go to, and I'm not really in a tool rich area. There are people who specialize in making replacement totes and knobs for these planes, but I can't recall any off the top of my head. A search of the forums should find them. I know The Best Things sells replacements in rosewood.

You can also make you own: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63262

It seems likely that vendors of old tools might also have them around. You could try Josh Clark, Patrick Leach, or Walt at Brass City Records. I'm sure there are others that I cannot think of right now.

If you find yourself with the knob and tote but in need of hardware and don't want to go to the trouble of retapping a hole or finding vintage stuff, you can try http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/ but I've been told you need to phone him if you want a timely response.

Thanks for your response, David. To answer your question, these are just users but I'd like to keep the character of the vintage tool as much as possible and stick with Stanley parts from the same or similar era. Also, I only need the knob and tote as the hardware is in good condition after removing the rust.

I have tried other resources, including Josh and Ebay as previously mentioned, but haven't found all that I'm looking for. Aside from some of the dealers, I thought that a fellow creeker may have some of these parts available or come across them frequently enough to keep an eye out, like the knob and tote.

Thanks,
    Brett

Knob & handle set, or knob OR handle pop up on eBay occasionally. If you want a type of knob and handle that would be suitable for type 13, they'll be rosewood one and they go for quite a bit, probably you are looking at $25 to $35 for a good condition set. If the authentic vintage feel is important to you, you should come across one that fits your need at some point. If not, you can buy a parts plane with intact knob and handle, clean them up and keep the rest of usable parts as replacement for later use or sell to cover some of the cost.

Not sure how much or often you find No. 8 blade, but if you want it for a user, you might be better off getting a replacement blade from one of the reputable manufacturers. Simply because...Stanley plane blades were never that good. Some are ok and usable, but nothing spectacular as far as edge retention, durability or performance go. I know some people say laminated blades from ye olde Stanley of bygone era are good, or blade from SW era are superior. No, they aren't. They were just as prone to varying quality inconsistency as any other production periods. Simply put, their plane blades were inconsistent at best. If you manage to get a decently usable blade, then you are set, but if you end up with one of the many duds they produced, you won't get much use out of those ones.

Sam:
    Try Nick Obermire at nick.obermire@gmail.com...he makes replacement Stanley handles and knobs
    Brian

Yeah I know some folks who make replacements. My personal favorite is Greg from Droz's Olde Tyme Stanley Totes & Knobs. He makes beautiful replacements and they are actually more comfortable than the original. I think Brett preferred authentic original for his use, hence my reply.

Thanks for the suggestions but Sam's correct, I'm trying to find a vintage knob and tote. In fact, a set just popped up on Ebay (here's the link) and it'll run about $30 including shipping, which falls in line with your estimation, Sam.

If I go the route of buying an entire no. 5 plane with a solid knob and tote but with a rough finish, paint splatter, etc., what's a simple process to refinish them? Let's assume that quick dip in DNA or MS doesn't do the trick.

Thanks,
    Brett

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bobo View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions but Sam's correct, I'm trying to find a vintage knob and tote. In fact, a set just popped up on Ebay (here's the link) and it'll run about $30 including shipping, which falls in line with your estimation, Sam.

If I go the route of buying an entire no. 5 plane with a solid knob and tote but with a rough finish, paint splatter, etc., what's a simple process to refinish them? Let's assume that quick dip in DNA or MS doesn't do the trick.

Thanks,
    Brett
    My recollection could be off. If my recollector is working, Stanley used shellac to finish their handles. The DNA would likely strip the finish. Mine are stripped all the time. Mine are usually finished with wood polish, wax and such. The feel good, bare rosewood against my hands is enjoyed.

My stock of parts is getting sparse. The hazard of buying parts planes is that they turn out to be good users. The only unbroken handles in my accumulation are hardwood painted black.

Finding the correct blade for a #8 may be one of the hardest to find. Not a lot of old #8s or parts out in the wild. Patrick Leach returned my email about not having any #8 donors for a frog I am trying to replace on one of my #8s. I have two frogs thanks to another Creeker, but both of them have the lateral lever snapped off. After a few months searching ebay, only a couple of the wrong models have come up for bidding.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Those are all fairly common parts. I would set up a search on Ebay and let them email me whenever someone lists the parts. Saves a lot of time over searching on your own.

Have you tried Bill Rittner? He makes stanley (LN & LV too) replacement knobs and totes to what you want. He'll do it high/low for whatever type plane you need. Reasonably piced too.

re the No 81 scraper blade -- the only source I've ever found is Ron Hock
    http://www.hocktools.com/SB.htm