Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lights Dimming?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    If he just switched which side the bandsaw breaker was snapped into, would this be a simple way to test this theory?
    Yes, but we now need to clarify "side". The experiment would be to change which side of neutral, in the electrical sense. That might or might not involve changing which side of the breaker panel, in the left-right sense.

Most breaker panels are laid out so that the electrical side, (or phase -- I have no problem referring to it as a phase) "criss-crosses" the panel, so that moving to a breaker slot higher or lower, or left or right, switches phase. Results in a checkerboard pattern.

If you think about it, it must work that way vertically, for a ganged pair of adjacent breakers to give you 220V.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Laughing at myself Rod. By 'pole', I took this to mean the physical pole at the street and couldnt understand what you meant!

'Leg' worked better for me. Or 'phase', or spelling it out as 'other side of neutral' got me clued in.....

In any event, a highly likely culprit.

If he just switched which side the bandsaw breaker was snapped into, would this be a simple way to test this theory?
    Carl, sorry for the confusion....LOL.

Yes, moving the breaker to the other pole ( phase/line) would be the test.............Rod.

A quick fix or test would be to move the breaker that the bandsaw is connected to down 1 position in the breaker panel. That will move the load to the other leg and should eliminate the dimming of the kitchen lights. Your shop lights will likely respond since it seems they're currently on the opposite leg.

Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

When I was making Picture Tubes for Sony in San Diego in 95, they had a contract with a company that each month came in with a Thermal Image Camera and would scan every Power Distribution Panel in the 24 hour a day Production Plant. Including all the Power Supplies, RF Generators, PLC Cabinets and Robots. I was amazed to see this point out "hot" or "Thermal" problems with connections within power panels and supply lines. When one is found, a Digital Camera picture was taken and the Report would include both pictures. I was tasked to fix a few problems and was happy to see the followup a week later. This preventive program really paid off in my opinion...

SO... Since Thermal Cameras are now easier to find than in 1995 a call to a local Fireman Friend for a Quick Scan of the Main Breaker would be in order. You might find a loose Lug on that Phase....

I am with Dan and the last poster Jim, just swap the Band Saw breaker down one slot, OR change the Lighting by one slot.

A loose connection could cause the dimming as the normal inrush current is being dissipated as heat.... This is a WAG.... Wild AL Guess...

And last but not least... IF your house has "Federal Pacific" Circuit Breakers then do a search on "Bad Federal Pacific Breakers". FYI

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't gotten back into the garage to test this theory out, but will do so in the next few days and post back what I find.