Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw set recomendations

Saw set recomendations

Just wondering if anyone has a good saw set recommendation either new or old.
    The saw I am currently working on is one that I have filed for 8TPI rip.
    Just as an experiment (for myself) I have been using it without any set for a while. I can manage, but only with a little wax.

Are there many out there that don't use a saw set (i.e. use a punch or some other means)?

Thanks,
    Jeff Wittrock

Blog Entries
    My saw set of choice is a Stanley 42X. My luck has been good about finding them. Though these days not much attention has been paid to finding them.

There are a few versions of the Stanley 42 style saw set. My recollection is of a plain 42, a 42N, 42S and 42X. There may be more I haven't seen. They are different animals.

Other saw sets are capable of doing the job, but the wide range and small contact point of the 42X make it the preferred set for many.

It is best to start with the least set you can and add if more as needed. My practice is to start at the heel of the saw and set the first tooth the same way on all of my saws if there isn't already set going the other way on a saw. Ones going to the other way on the first tooth get a mark to indicate such. This makes it easier for future saw tuning.

Search on > stanley saw set <

Item 221160073420 looks to be the #42X missing is the guide for setting circular saw blades.

Item 181033280475 Looks like the #42N or some other variant.

Item 251190795074 has good images to see what makes the 42X what it is.

There is also a listing for replacement springs item 251190795074. It shows images of the disassembled. Most saw sets have one spring. The #42X has two.

Some of these auctions will close in a day or so you will have to search through completed listings if you want to see them later.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim.

There's also a 42W that does not appear to be much of a useful tool.

The Stanley 42x is the most preferred saw set. It's nice to have two, one with the anvil filed down for setting very small teeth.

How does the 42X compare with the new sets offered by TFWW ( http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/s...20set/Saw_Sets )?
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Blog Entries
    I just finished my second saw, so I'm hardly an expert, but the Somex I bought from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43072,43086) worked great. Make sure you start at the low end of the setting and measure the results carefully, working your way up to what you want. It didn't take much set to get my panel saws cutting oak and hard maple quite nicely.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    I just finished my second saw, so I'm hardly an expert, but the Somex I bought from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43072,43086) worked great. Make sure you start at the low end of the setting and measure the results carefully, working your way up to what you want. It didn't take much set to get my panel saws cutting oak and hard maple quite nicely.
    A HUGE plus 1 for this set of sets from Lee Valley!!! I own 4 different vintage saw sets and not a one of them can hold a candle to these. Now, I purchased both of these because of the saws that I have. You may or may not need both. I cannot recommend these more highly!!!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    How does the 42X compare with the new sets offered by TFWW ( http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/s...20set/Saw_Sets )?
    It looks to me like these are the same as the Lee Valley ones.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Thanks all for your advice.

It sounds like the Somax saw set from TFWW or Lee Valley is a winner for a new one.
    Doesn't look like I could do much better buying a used 42x or other. They seem to generally be right up there in pricing.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Thanks all for your advice.

It sounds like the Somax saw set from TFWW or Lee Valley is a winner for a new one.
    Doesn't look like I could do much better buying a used 42x or other. They seem to generally be right up there in pricing.

Thanks again,
    Jeff
    The tools from TFWW or Lee Valley will probably do a great job. Most saw sets are usable. There may be problems with some used saw sets if they were made for setting logging saws.

If one is patient, the 42x is often listed in the wrong category. Saw one listed as a "cast iron Stanley part" one time. Told another member and as I recall, they submitted the only bid and got it for something like $20. Sometimes they show up at yard sales, but get there early.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Walt at Brass City often has 42X's in stock. I have the Somex set from LV, and they seem pretty nice ... though I haven't gotten around to using them yet.

I have the Somex and also Stanley 42 (can't remember the letter, but it is not X). I would opt for finding a vintage Stanley, but that's what works for me.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Thanks again all for the advice.

I am curious.... does anyone use anything other than the pistol grip style saw sets for saws over say 8 TPI?
    Not my intention to do so, but I am curious.