Thread: Just getting back into the hobby. . .

Just getting back into the hobby. . .

. . . .and can use some tool recommendations. I sold off my entire shop about 6 years ago when the wife's friends wanted me to start building them things for money, that wasn't where I wanted to go.

So anyway the wife has decided that it's time to get back into it because she wants some things built. I purchased a SS Contractor's Saw w/ 52" fence yesterday and cast iron wings. I would've liked to step up to the PCS but it wasn't in the budget.

So I am looking for some recommendations for a good dust collection system, jointer, planer, and band saw. I typically don't buy top-of-the-line stuff, but I definitely tend to stay above the middle if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome back to sawdust making. I am sure there will be plenty of creekers along in a bit with their recommendation. I'll start with the Dewalt benchtop planer. I have the DW735 and been very happy with it.
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    . . . .So I am looking for some recommendations for a good dust collection system, jointer, planer, and band saw. I typically don't buy top-of-the-line stuff, but I definitely tend to stay above the middle if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike, I would get a cyclone dust collector with at least 2HP. I like wide jointers, and in some parts of the country you can find them used so that is what I would first search for. A 20" shelix style planer would be nice to have, or a used tersa-head planer would be nearly as desirable. I'm not sure of how you use a band saw, but I would look for at least a used 14" Delta. Brands will vary depending on feature priority, so as you pin down those details the brand reccommendations will follow.

I hope your second life of woodworking is fun for you!

Thanks for the replies folks.

@Lori, I previously used a benchtop planer and swore I would never go back. I quickly got tired of the sniping on the ends of the boards, so I am looking for a floor model planer, not that they are immune to sniping. Have the benchtops gotten any better in the last few years?

@Paul, I think a 2HP cyclone type dust collector would fill the bill perfectly. I will only ever be using one tool at a time, and the time it takes to open/close suction gates causes one to slow down and think about what you are about to do. May help prevent injuries. I previously owned the Delta 37-190 jointer, and do want to step up to at least an 8" with longer tables.

Thanks for the input.

. . . .and what is all this Festool madness that seems to be permeating the WW scene lately? They weren't on the scene when I got out (at least here in the US), are they worth the high price?
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 12-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.

. . . .and what is all this Festool madness that seems to be permeating the WW scene lately? They weren't on the scene when I got out (at least here in the US), are they worth the high price?
    They do a great job, but other cheaper(by that I mean Bosch, Metabo, DeWalt, Freud, etc.) tools will do a good job as well. Resale value is great if you ever have buyer's remorse. I don't have any Festool products, but I hear their ROS and shop vac are the best to get if you do go Festool. Then is the domino joiner followed by their router.

And if you're wife's friends ask again, just let them politely know that for insurance purposes you can not sell anything you make.

LOL, funny how things change in such a short while, huh? I was a hobbyist-turned professional photographer for a while and then dropped it for many of the same reasons you dropped your WWing, and after a few years it was amazing how the tools changed the landscape.

There are differing opinions on whether Festools are worth their high price. They are probably more worth the high price to folks who make money with their tools, especially on-site. For hobbyists, the worth is simply in the enjoyment of those tools, and only you can decide how much a given feature set is worth to you. I have quite a bit of Festool (they can be addictive) and for the most part each tool is worth what I paid (i.e., no buyer's remorse).

I will say that two Festools you should seriously consider, as a shop-based hobbyist WW, are the TS55 tracksaw and the Domino. The TS55 will make your life so, so much easier if you plan to build a lot of case goods, built-ins, etc. or just plan on using a lot of plywood. 52" table on your tablesaw or not, it's no fun hoisting those large ply pieces over the saw. Festool is not the only tracksaw game in town (Makita and Dewalt are two others), but it's often the gateway tool with which people take their first sip of the green koolaid. It was for me! The Domino is another game-changer...rapid and precise loose tenon joinery by taking the tool to the work, and there is nothing else like it out there, at least 'til the patents expire. I had a benchtop mortiser before the Domino and don't miss it one bit. Ok, that's a lie. I missed it ONE time when I wanted a square hole for decorative purposes.

Festool sanders are great, but it's up to you to decide how much their strengths are worth. They might be a bit smoother or a bit better at dust collection than your average sander, but they cost a fair amount more. The Rotex line combines rotary (aggressive) and random orbit (fine) sanding into one machine, which can be useful not just in the woodshop but in remodeling/renovation/restoration. But again, you'll pay for it!

Festool routers are a similar story to the sanders. Some nice features and definitely high-quality, but are they worth it to YOU over other brands. The Festool Kapex SCMS is definitely the best SCMS out there, but it's 2x the price of the next best saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moscicki View Post
    And if you're wife's friends ask again, just let them politely know that for insurance purposes you can not sell anything you make.
    Thanks for the info, and good call on the comment to her friends.

For new stationary tools check out Grizzly. I love and recommend thier 14" G055X bandsaw with a riser block addition. It is a lot of saw for the money. The fence is great, the 1.5 hp motor is plenty powerful, the quick release tension is nice. I have yet to bog it down even when I re-sawed 12" purpleheart. I'd consider this a mid-level tool, but it suits me just fine. Grizzly has many other good tools. As for a jointer my Rigid 6" is a good value machine, again a good mid-level tool. I just wish I had a 8". A good mid-level planer is the Rigid or the Dewalt 734. I have ran close to a thousand board feet through my Dewalt and it still goes strong. A step better would be the more expensive Dewalt (not sure the #). A whole new ballgame starts when you up-grade to a stationary planer. A good starter dust collection is the Harbor Freight 2 hp modle. A cyclone is better, but google the modifications people have done to this model to improve its performance. Also CHECK YOUR LOCAL CRAIGSLIST FOR USED TOOL DEALS! You never know what you will find.

Remember even if you have the best tools they are only as good as how you use them, so make sure you know or remember how to use them properly. Brush up by searching the Internet (this is a good site) or reading books, a lot changes every year. You will be safer and be less frustrated.
    Welcome back!

Thanks for the replies folks.

@Lori, I previously used a benchtop planer and swore I would never go back. I quickly got tired of the sniping on the ends of the boards, so I am looking for a floor model planer, not that they are immune to sniping. Have the benchtops gotten any better in the last few years?
    LOtta folks here love the DW735 planer. I have no experience with it. Me - I've got a 12 year old Delta 15" DC-380. Got it set up precisely, and I have zero snipe - and I sold the infeed & outfeed extension tables. I'd think that the Jet, Grizz, etc. would be a reasonable substitute.

On the jointer: I recommend going for 8". 6" is too narrow for a lot of the rough wood I buy......too much of a hassle. OF course, if I had room for a 12", I'd have that instead. Mine is a PM 60B. Lot of emotion hereabouts on PM. Some of us guys like it. Some of us guys get really cranked up about "Chiwanese" quality, off-shoring in general, etc. Whatever. If I was in the market for new, I'd prolly take a run at the PM 8" parallel bed, with segmented head.

BS - I'm still flogging my 12 yr old basic 14" C-frame Delta with riser block. Various after-market upgrades. To be honest, if I was starting over, I would somehow find the room and put in an 18" something. But - no reason for me to go there since this critter does everything I need it to do, and does it well.

DP - no real help here. I found a 1985 PM 1150A - VS. Beautiful. 6" quill travel, heavy duty doesn't describe it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

So I am looking for some recommendations for a good dust collection system, jointer, planer, and band saw. I typically don't buy top-of-the-line stuff, but I definitely tend to stay above the middle if that makes sense.
    I'm similar when looking for tools. Try scouring craigslist (very location dependent) and you might land some gems. On new tool purchases I've found Grizzly to be a great price/value. Some people might consider them middle, but my G0490 8" 3 HP Jointer is currently $1000 ($850 for the sliding dovetail version) compared to $1400 for the Jet 8" 2HP and $1600 for the Powermatic 8" 2 HP.

Just be sure to get something you'll be happy using, you don't want to be miserable everytime you use a tool wishing you have splurged for a better version or grumbling how you couldn't afford XYZ because you overspent on a name.

For more specific help (model numbers) give us a budget and don't forget the non-major tool purchases that will eat up your wallet (handtools/jigs/storage/finishing/etc)
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.