Thread: Far-Fetched Etch Inquiry

Far-Fetched Etch Inquiry

I'm deeply intrigued by a handsaw I've had for a while now. It's a ~26" rip saw, 5-1/2 points, nib, fairly old-looking contours on the handle (lambs tongue, a good number of curve details, etc.), traditional split nuts, and a Warranted Superior medallion.

There's definitely an etch but it's just barely detectable. Does the following sound at all familiar to anyone?

- Two concentric ovals/elongated circles
    - Possible lettering in the strip between the circles
    - I'm pretty sure there's a head in the center, either a bear or something that could easily be mistaken for one
    - Possibly something to the left side of the circles, but the etch is so faded, this could be merely dirt or scratches

I realize this is almost nothing to go from but the saw seems more exotic than the typical examples I find around, and the inability to find out anything further just makes me all the more interested. None of the references I have at hand (which ain't much, admittedly) have anything like this etch shown.

Blog Entries
    Warranted Superior medallion.
    These were common to just about every saw maker who supplied stores with a second tier model.

Some have different emblems inside. I believe Disston used some with a keystone inside. Most display an eagle.

The etch may have been for a specific hardware merchant.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Can't help identify it, but sounds like a cool saw and certainly older than what I run into. If I get back into the 20s I count myself lucky.
    Rodney

Could it be this one? You're certainly in the right part of the country for the manufacturer. Etches are notoriously difficult to photograph, but it might help to identify.