Thread: older Sears Craftsman Shaper

older Sears Craftsman Shaper

Looking for a good source for 1/2 inch Shaper cutters for a Sears Craftsman Shaper I got. Sears is pretty much useless when it comes to replacement parts for their older machines. This one was made back around 1985 , I believe. It has the steel stand and cast Iron table. Accepts 1/2 inch cutters and the label is hard to read on the motor, but it is either a 1 or 1 1/2 HP motor. Anyone know where you can get the manual for this thing ?

Thanks,

How about 3/4 cutters with a spacer? These can be bought anywhere, craigslist, fleabay, amazon, and on and on. Oella saw has a bunch of delta cutters, many more than what are on the internet.

Corob Cutters (corobcutters.com) has steel cutters in many profiles. I think they may be the original manufacturers of what was once sold as Craftsman. The steel cutters do work fine, but if you want carbide, you will most likely need to use a 3/4" bore cutter with a 1/2" bushing, as mentioned above. Grizzly has a few 1/2" carbide cutters, but not many different profiles.

Grizzly is about the only source I know of for 1/2" cutters these days. I have a c-man shaper from that era, was inherited from my Dad, sorry no manual, but its a pretty straight forward machine. I dumped the motor, replaced it with a grizzly 1 1/2HP TEFC induction motor, world of difference. The stock motors were not great. I bush down 3/4" door sets and it works fine. I have a small pile of 1/2" cutters labeled AMT I'm pretty sure Dad bought at Sears, HSS, a few different profiles. I've never used them, I have a few big boy shapers that do my heavy lifting. The C-man is set up for coping in my shop, I never change it.

you might find this manual helpful http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=616

There's a bunch of 1/2" shaper cutters on ebay right now. cheap...