Thread: Anyone see "Parks and Rec" last night?

Anyone see "Parks and Rec" last night?

I think it was last night's anyway--sometimes I get confused since we DVR everything we watch. We got hooked on the show when we got a fast enough internet connection to watch Amazon Prime video and are caught up the the current season.

Anyway, one of the main characters, Ron Swanson is nominated for an award from the Indiana Fine Woodworking Association or something like that for a chair he built. He attends the banquet and right away see's Chris Becksvoort. They spend a fair bit of time, at least in TV terms, at the Lee Valley/Veritas booth. Then during the awards they announce the nominees including of course Ron, but also Asa Christiana (of Fine Woodworking). Ron of course wins the award and they show Christiana throwing down his napkin and rushing out in disgust. Both Becksvoort and Christiana play themselves in the show.

Yes, I watched it. Had I known that C. Becksvoort would only make a cameo appearance, I would not have watched it. We have been without TV service for several years at 2 different times. When our 2 year contract with DISH is up we will be pulling the plug again. There are just too many other options for our time that we enjoy more.

Blog Entries
    Nick Offerman plays Ron Swanson and Nick is a pretty well known woodworker. They use his woodwork (canoes) in the show and I think this might be the episode Nick wrote. Nick has been a guest on Adam Carrolla's home improvement podcast several times, he talks specifically about his projects, woodwork experience, and they even Nick's his shop. Adam was a carpenter for 20 years so they really talk shop. Personally I think it is the best woodwork related entertainment you can listen to.

I thought it was great. Not too much legit woodworking in pop-culture. Even if the show didn't feature some of the finer details of the craft, it did feature some notable personalities, suppliers and properly used lingo. I even chuckled at the rediculous puns. No press is bad press.

Ryan

I didn't see the episode, but I know that work from Varian Designs was shown during the show. http://www.variandesigns.com/work/timber/lofn_chair/. Possibly this chair.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    We have been without TV service for several years at 2 different times.
    You do know that you can connect your TV to an antenna and get all the local TV channels, right?

Yes, we've done that with varying success depending on location and topography. Being without TV has been by choice. Between internet, reading, wood working, gardening, etc, there isn't time for TV. Perhaps we don't find TV as entertaining as others do.
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 12-07-2012 at 5:40 PM. Reason: additional comment.

I saw it and laughed my butt off.

My wife thinks I'm a woodworking "nerd" because I knew Chistian Becksvoort and Asa Christiana.

I have it recorded on the DVR but haven't watched yet. I read a blog post by Asa Christiana regarding the shooting, and he said that several tool companies (including LV, SS, etc.) brought their booths and employees to the episode shooting. I wonder who else made it into the final cut?

It was a pretty good episode! Asa did a great job of looking upset!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I saw it and laughed my butt off.

My wife thinks I'm a woodworking "nerd" because I knew Chistian Becksvoort and Asa Christiana.
    She's right.

You are.

We are.....