Thread: Another Kentucky Coffee Tree H/F - Larger Than Last One/Critique Welcome

Another Kentucky Coffee Tree H/F - Larger Than Last One/Critique Welcome

This one is from a 6"x6"x12" blank I got at the Ga. Symposium from Century Tree. Also used patinating wax to accentuate the grain. Soaked it in soap for 24 hrs before turning and it turned as well as anything I've ever tried. Had sketched it out on graph paper beforehand as I've been doing lately and felt that using the full length of the H/F part of the blank didn't look as good as shortening it to about 10.5" and using part of the bottom for the finial. Fortunately, the grain pattern followed through from the finial to the main H/F. Overall, it's just under 17"tall. Was shooting for 1/4" thick and overdid it a tad - it's very light weight. Didn't take the photos in a photo tent, thus the reflections.

2. Okay Bill.......on a scale of 1-10.........I give this one 11 This is fine......I mean truly fine. Your finial is much better on this one and the base is complimentary to the upper part above the shoulder......it just has a "look" ... refined, artistic and well executed.

WoW!!!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-08-2012 at 8:01 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Bill, Disregard what Roger said. Imagine only an 11. How can he be so unkind. I vote 15.
    faust

Truly art, Bill! Well done.

That is outstanding top to bottom. Nothing not to like.
    C&C WELCOME

Absolutely stunning Bill. I usually don't comment on a lot of the turnings on here, as
    95% of them are above my talent level. To me, everything about this piece is truely
    eye catching. The base, finial, the orientation of the grain, the form and the finish. This is one
    of the nicest pieces I have seen in quite some time. Bravo!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Truly art, Bill! Well done.
    Well........if it brought JK out of hiding to comment, it MUST be good! I am so bad! Gotta yank his pony tail once in a while, so he will know he is loved!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I love it,What else can I say.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Beautiful HF Bill from top to bottom.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The darker grain and matching elements create a stunning look. Well done Bill!

Definitely one to be proud of Bill. Excellent flow throughout.

I have to admit, I'm unsure about the wood on this..the bullseye pattern ovewhelms my eye. the side view of the straight grain looks much better to me. When I think of a piece like this, I think solid color, or less wild grain. Now having said that, I think it is a wonderfully crafted piece, and like the lid & finial very much. You should be pleased & proud of this one.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe