Thread: anybody using the clear view 6"-4" clear transition

anybody using the clear view 6"-4" clear transition

hi there
    is anybody using those 6"-4" transition boxs that clear view sell. they are a clear box (or clear front anyway) with a 6" port on the top and 2 4" on the bottom

i am thinking of adding something like this to the duct lines going to my table saw and band saw. it should help me see whats going on in side

thanks alan

I made my own of sorts, see post #4 here; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post2014597

This is extreme compared to what you're asking about, but it may give you an idea on making your own. I don't really see the need for a "window" but it would be easy enough to replace plywood with acrylic on one side if you wanted to see the action.

i was planning on building a box with a plastic front to it
    then mount a screw on flanged fitting on top and 2 blast gates on the bottom.
    do you find any build up in the corners or any shavings etc jambing in the flat areas.
    i know it will proably fall back into the air stream thow

Keep in mind, that if you use a box type wye, you will add some resistance to the run. The CV unit has enough power to overcome that for the most part, but why do it and lose some CFM? Is there a reason you feel you need to see what is going on in the pipe? I've never thought I needed to. I did price some 6" clear pipe in the beginning...140 bucks for 10' decreased my desire to see what was happening in the pipe!! If you are worried about the pipe clogging up, adding a box to the run will increase the chances of a clog...and it will be at the box. Besides, if the pipe clogs, you can tell by the sound of the system. If I'm missing something here, please let me know! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Keep in mind, that if you use a box type wye, you will add some resistance to the run. The CV unit has enough power to overcome that for the most part, but why do it and lose some CFM? Is there a reason you feel you need to see what is going on in the pipe? I've never thought I needed to. I did price some 6" clear pipe in the beginning...140 bucks for 10' decreased my desire to see what was happening in the pipe!! If you are worried about the pipe clogging up, adding a box to the run will increase the chances of a clog...and it will be at the box. Besides, if the pipe clogs, you can tell by the sound of the system. If I'm missing something here, please let me know! Jim.
    there is no 'need 'to see whats going on. i would just like to see .
    i dont really want to lose any cfm thow.

Alan, I am currently building my shop Dust collection system, I've got six of these on the way, I will definitely let you know what I think of them. So far Clearvue has been wonderful to deal with.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

thanks rick.
    did you get the ones with the blast gates built in or the normal ones

I ordered the ones with the blast gates built in. I will definitely let you know my initial impressions, and how they work once I get them installed. Clear vue has been a fantastic company to deal with, any issues I have had, have been sorted out quickly and without any pain and suffering. Great people!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein