Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haven't posted in a while...

One of my favorite woods Mike, even though it is often hard on sharp tools, and of course the boxmaster's signature style. The spicy/peppery scent reminds me of exotic spices, and as the wood ages turns a much darker color but still shows grain patterns. BTW, your box hollowing process is exactly the same as Ray Key's, as I saw somewhere that a class with Key is still on your bucket list.

Jamie, I first learned of this hollowing technique from a written description in one of Keith Rowley's books. I did not realize that it was the same way Ray Key hollowed until I saw one of his box turning videos. Interestingly enough I ended up with the blunt grind through trial and error and then discovered that Mr. Key's grind on his signature gouge was almost exactly the same when I was able to examine his tools at a symposium. What a fine gentleman Ray Key is!!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    The spicy/peppery scent reminds me of exotic spices...
    Hmmm... It smells like pickles to me... Not even exotic pickles... Just pickles.

But David, pickles are GOOD!

hi'ya Mike, nice box, see'ya down the road

6. In the land of boxes, Big Mike is the King.

Great use of a very pretty piece of wood. Beautiful box Mike!

Very nice box Mike! I printed a pdf years ago of yours that detailed the steps in making a box. I still have the pdf and refer to it when it has been a while between boxes. Thank you for the instruction!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Steven, and the rest of you who have responded I can only say thank you.

Steven that tutorial has some age on it now although it is still what I provide my class when I teach. It does continue to describe the techniques for turning a basic box. It is gratifying to hear that it helped you. Thank you.

For those that are interested I have had a couple of box turning articles published in Woodturning Design magazine which describe how to turn slightly different boxes. And a third article is coming in a future issue describing how to turn a box similar to the box in this thread.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.