Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JWBS-18 Bandsaw questions

Jet JWBS-18 Bandsaw questions

I have found a Jet JWBS bandsaw 1 1/2 hp in good condition for $450.00. I have a few questions concerning the saw. I am considering buying and upgrading the motor to at least a 2 hp. Does this saw have cast iron wheels? To owners, would you buy again? How does the saw rate in comparision to other 18 inch bandsaws? If I could get a new motor for around $300.00 I feel it may be worth it. Thoughts???

James, search SMC for Jet JWBS-18 There is a lot of info.

$450 sounds like a steal!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    James,

Is it the older style, square frame, or the newer triangular frame? If it's the latter, that price is definitely a steal... if it's the former, the price is decent. I can't say about your particular unit, but my JWBS-183QT does have cast iron wheels.

I'll send you a PM... I have a 2HP JET motor that was intended for a lathe upgrade until I replaced the lathe with a Robust. Depending upon where you are, shipping may not be too bad.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I always have to scratch my head when I hear of older Jet 18 frame backbones being weak. I've never experienced any issues with mine, it resaws great (ok, 10" or less but that's ok with me), it cuts tight radiuses well.

Heck, if I needed a stronger frame I have a bunch of 4x4x1/4" square tube around that I could double up the frame with but other than that one magazine test claiming that it's an issue I really don't get it.

No way I'd sell mine for $450 - go get it!

I have one and like it.
    Like Ken, I have no complaints with mine except for replacing one of the wheel bearings.
    That article slamming the square frame gets mentioned [but never quoted] a lot but I'm still waiting for someone to actually have a weakness problem with their own square framed saw. Has anyone actually read it?

I wouldn't sell mine for $450 either.

i also have this saw.never had a problem.i know some complain about it.it has been good for me.just my 2 cents.

I have only saw pictures of the saw. The person who is selling it was vague with his answers. He was unsure if the wheels were cast iron, if it was the triangle frame. The saw doesn't have a fence and I would upgrade top at least a 2 hp motor, probably a 3hp. I've kinda talked myself out of it due to doing all of that, I'm close to the price of a new saw. I was wanting a larger saw for resawing and I feel this one would need those upgrades. Thanks for your feedback. Now to decide on which Grizzly to buy. I wish I could find a coupon to help.

James.....a person can use a magnet to determine if the wheels are cast iron. If the guy is being vague, I'd be a little leary myself.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    James.....a person can use a magnet to determine if the wheels are cast iron. If the guy is being vague, I'd be a little leary myself.
    Me too. Doesn't even know if it has a square or triangular spine?

There are two types with a square spine. The -18 and the -18x. The -18 has aluminum wheels and a stamped trunnion and the X has cast iron parts for those instead, probably as a response to demand from customers.

That said, I've never actually heard someone say they had a rigidity problem with the original model with aluminum bits in it.

I have the X model (the square support but cast iron parts) and my only complaint about it is that it has some trouble stabilizing the big carbide resaw blades.

I have one of the early 18" Jet saws

It has cast iron wheels and other than being a little underpowered has always worked well. It is about 11.5 years old now and I just bought new tires for it.

I think these saws went through a lot of changes. Mine has cast iron/steel wheels, but aluminum trunnions. It has different upper guides than the earlier saws too. My lateral guides are face on rather than edge on as I have also seen. I haven't seen a manual on line that accurately depicts the trunnion/wheel/guide configuration of my saw although of course I have the original manual so they do exist!

Quote Originally Posted by James Hicks View Post
    I have found a Jet JWBS bandsaw 1 1/2 hp in good condition for $450.00. I have a few questions concerning the saw. I am considering buying and upgrading the motor to at least a 2 hp. Does this saw have cast iron wheels?

yes, mine did.

To owners, would you buy again?

never. if you gave me one for free, i;d sell it and buy almost anything else. the tool and company are seriously second rate. IMHO.

How does the saw rate in comparision to other 18 inch bandsaws?

one of the saws considered a poor cousin to most quality band saws.

If I could get a new motor for around $300.00 I feel it may be worth it. Thoughts???

an absolute waste of $300 otherwise good woodworking dollars.

for $750 to $800, wait for one of the anuual/semiannual sales at woodcraft or highland WW when the rikon 10-325 is marked down to ~$800. 13" of resaw, CI wheels and table and nary a negative comment on the web regarding it or rikon. a much better deal than a used jet, of which the jwbs-18 is one of the more negatively regarded tools. but, IMHO, if that pretty white jet paint job really appeals to you, there aren't very many better ways to waste that much money.

I would suggest reading all the posts in this thread to get a more accurate picture of how a Jet bandsaw might perform.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-13-2012 at 2:55 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I would suggest reading all the posts in this thread to get a more accurate picture of how a Jet bandsaw might perform.
    I'll 2nd Kens advice, I think you will find a few happy owners of this model.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.