Thread: Grizzly 609X Jointer review and Bed Extension construction

Grizzly 609X Jointer review and Bed Extension construction

201.jpg205.jpg207.jpg210.jpg202.jpgI recieved a new 609X Jointer a couple of weeks ago, and thought I might make a few comments.
    The machine arrived in good condition, and then the work began. As promised, it is very large and
    heavy. I am a farmer, and have access to a tractor loader which made the job easier. However,
    when I reached the door to my wood shop which is 7 foot wide and 7 foot tall it took some fancy
    manuvering to get it inside. A cherry picker (engine hoist) finished the delivery. Give this process
    some carefull thought before you order. Once unpacked and cleaned up I made a moblie base which
    would allow for easier movement around the shop. (see attached photos) Then I just had to try and improve
    on the already almost perfect parallelism of tables. This was a mistake, but it was a good learning
    experience. Go to the Grizzly web site and watch their video on adjusting the tables on a 8 inch
    machine before you begin. The video turns the 5 hour almost impossible job into a 30 minute job.
    Tech support helped me start over once I had messed everything up. They said to begin by making
    the in and out tables parallel at the front. Then adjust them parallel at the rear of the machine, leaving
    the adjustments with the cutter head for last. Final small adjustments then need to be made as necessary
    to get everything parallel with the cutterhead and the beds coplaner. This worked quite well, but I would
    adjust outfeed table parallel with the cutter head after you get the front of both beds parallel.
    Once all of this was done, and a new cord and cord end was installed, the machine was powered up.
    I am very impressed with how smooth it runs. A neighbor brought a piece of Russian Olive tree up which
    was 4 feet long, 12 inches wide, and 3 inches thick. Between a GO514X2 19 inch band saw, this jointer, and a GO453
    planer we came up with two 1 inch boards which are ready for building projects. The Russian Olive is
    of hardness similar to Oak. I was very impressed with the job the spiral head did with the crazy grain
    around some knots, and any cracks in the wood. Also there was absolutly no snipe with the outfeed table
    adjusted to exactly the same height of the cutterhead. Control of the infeed table, and adjustment of the
    fence both seem to be fast and plenty precise enough for anyone. The table and fence milling apear to be
    excellent. If I were to find any fault, the lable on the front of the machine came unglued, and there are a
    few places where some of the castings could have been ground a little more. Nothing that effects how
    the machine performs. All in all I think this is a great jointer for the money. Heck I think it is a good
    machine no matter what the price. I have a Grizzly Jointer, Planer, and Bandsaw, a Jet tablesaw, lathe,
    and two big sanders, and some smaller PowerMatic tools like bench mortisers. My opinion is that they
    are all good machines, with very few differences. They are all the same castings from Far Eastern
    Countries, which are assembled in different factories. Aside from some small blemishes and a few
    small improvements, they all function the same and are all satisfactory. Grizzly got rid of all of
    the middle men, and pass the savings on to us the consumer. The ISO 9001 factory is great. However,
    it is no more than a production certification. It does not mean that each individual product is assembled
    and inspected in that prescribed manner. Now, I plan to joint walnut slabs which are 9 foot long, 25 inches
    wide, and 3 inches thick to make a 9 foot by 48 inch wide dinning room table. To do this I made 4 foot extension tables for both infeed and outfeed. This gives me 15 feet of usable table. I also constructed a 6 foot long by 24 inch tall extension for the fence. I hope with some help this will allow me to joint the slabs. I will let you know how it worked next month. I am attaching some pictures, which I hope will show you how I made the extensions.

Nice review. I have the same machine but added a Byrd head (at the time it was less expensive to do it that way). I'll have to look for the set-up videos. I must have spent almost 15 hours setting up the beds. I didn't have enough travel in the adjusters to get the beds parallel. Good thing I changed the cutter head because I found they use shims under the bearing blocks. Looking at my readings I determined they shimmed one side too much so I reduced the shim height and dialed it in in no time. I've posted a few times that I think they should have you parallel the tables and then shim the head to the outfeed last - this would save a lot of time. Oh - the machine has been flawless in use.

Mike

Lucky for me, when I received mine, I have a 9 x 8 overhead door. Just drove it in the shop with my skidsteer. Also have the Byrd head. Changing that wasn't bad for a farmer, after some of the other stuff I've had to fix.
    Find being a farmer works well with woodworking. Plenty of trees along the creek, and time to play in the shop during cold weather! Except when you are calfing.

Just wanted to let you know that I finished jointing the walnut
    slabs today. They ended up being about 20 inches wide by
    9 1/2 feet long and 10/4 thick. The process went quite
    well with great results. The project could not have been
    completed without extension tables. They were the
    secret. The glued joints are flawless.