Thread: Where to buy bowl blanks in Austin, TX?

Where to buy bowl blanks in Austin, TX?

Hi,

I know that Woodcraft has expensive and exotic blanks, but where is a good place to buy thick (maybe 12/4) stock in small quantities (i.e. not 10' boards)? For starters I need some 12/4 maple.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike, google "lumber austin, tx" and you'll see a number of outfits that should be able to fit the bill.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

"Fine Lumber" located at 9407 Brown Ln. It is an indoor lumber yard. They will cut off a portion of a board as long as you leave at least 8' for them to sell. They also have quite a bit of exotics. I have been doing business with them for several years and am not affiliated in any way.
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 12-12-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Being fairly new to both woodturning and Austin, I'm hoping somebody with local knowledge can help out. I'm not sure I know all of the questions to ask and I don't typically find the guys at hardwood lumber stores the most helpful, and they won't let you mill around the warehouse.

What I know:
    Brazos Forest Products would only sell full 10' boards last year. I didn't know to ask that question and ended up buying an $80 board to make a small bowl.
    Fine Lumber carries up to 12/4 in a a few common species and sells partial boards without a cut charge.

There may be other cool places to buy thick stock that I'd love to hear about. Maybe a place that sells decking material has 4" thick ipe??

It sounds like I need to take the time to join a local turners club.

Plus one on "Fine Lumber." They have the product, including exotics, and they are very willing to work with woodworkers. Their prices aren't, in my limited experience, much better than those of Woodcraft. I've found that ordering off the "Bay" a fair alternative YMMV if you have time to wait for shipping.

Just call around to all the local lumber retailers. Most of the ones I have been in over the years do sell wood turning blanks in addition to normal lumber. It's another profit center for them so it makes sense that they do. However, most of what they sell as blanks are likely to be more exotic species and there is no telling whether their prices are going to be much better than Woodcraft or not.

I get all my turning stock from a couple of Tree Service outfits. They will give me all the wood I can handle. Just turn something for them as a give back piece and you will never go without.

Tree service are always good as are firewood dealers. Austin is crawling with mesquite!!, cedars, and backyard exotics. Used to be a big exotic wood dealer named something like "paxson?" just west across the river and RR tracks fron town.