Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American made Bench vise? Who makes them?

American made Bench vise? Who makes them?

I am looking for a bench vice for ware I Work 5’’ to 6’’? Do any companies still make them in America? Or are they all Chinese? Also what is a good one to buy? I know they have gone down in quality over the years but which one would you recommend in the $150.00 or less range?

Thanks
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    I have this Jorgensen: $128 on Amazon, Chicago company, I don't know where it is made. I really like it. http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-4070.../dp/B0000223R3

Here is an American made vise. I have one of their early 20A vises. Still works great after about 80 years. http://www.milwtool.com/v_wood.htm

Also try Yost Vises. I don't have one, but they are American made and look quite stout.

yostvices.com

I looked at a Jorgenson vise the other day in person. No country of origin label on the packaging so I suspect they're China or India.
    Benchcrafted still makes vises in USA: http://www.benchcrafted.com/index.html

I picked up two of these off craigslist for cheaps. They have a quick release and are beasts. Front face is 9-1/2". I had to sandblast and paint to purdy them up, but both are functional. This is before and after on the second one I found. Might want to see if something similar is available.

vice 1.jpgvice 2.jpg

Looking for a bench vice like this one not a wood working vice....
    Thanks Richard
    Last edited by richard poitras; 12-12-2012 at 4:22 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I have this Jorgensen: $128 on Amazon, Chicago company, I don't know where it is made. I really like it. http://www.amazon.com/Jorgensen-4070.../dp/B0000223R3

I have this vise also. I like it a lot.

Jorgensen products used to be US made. I've read where that is changing. Too bad because I've always found Jorgensen products to be nicely made and fairly priced.

PHM

I went through the same search last year. It came down to a Yost USA made vice at around $800 or a used vice from ebay or craigslist. Everything else seems to be Chinese. We tried one of the cheap Chinese vices. We were just trying to secure a freewheel removal tool tightly enough to remove a freewheel from a bicycle wheel. The cheap vice had so much flex that the tool just rotated and popped out of the vice jaws. Never seen anything like it, even on much smaller vices.

I ended up with a really nice US built 6" craftsman vice for around $125 from ebay. There are lots of choices for good, older vices. Shipping can be rough. I think I paid $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I looked at a Jorgenson vise the other day in person. No country of origin label on the packaging so I suspect they're China or India.
    Woodcraft advertises the Jorgensen vises as American made. Link. Jorgensen is a brand name owned by the Adjustable Clamp Company, based in Chicago, but it doesn't say where their products are made.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    I ended up with a really nice US built 6" craftsman vice for around $125 from ebay. There are lots of choices for good, older vices. Shipping can be rough. I think I paid $35.
    That's why craigslist is the answer.

Richard, there are a dozen vices on lansing's craigslist. Don't know where you are exactly but I bet you could find one close by.

Rich, bench vises are pretty common on our local Craigslist. I found a nice Columbian for $100.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...oat&highlight=
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-12-2012 at 7:01 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Woodcraft advertises the Jorgensen vises as American made. Link. Jorgensen is a brand name owned by the Adjustable Clamp Company, based in Chicago, but it doesn't say where their products are made.
    Was actually at a Woodcraft that I looked at the vise. The banged up packaging had a suspicious Made in China look about it too. If you look a the Jorgensen bar clamps, they aren't stamped Made in USA on them anymore, just a bar code SKU sticker with Made in China in very small print.

Yost vices see their webpage.
    I have one, it's 1st class.

-Brian

Blog Entries
    Wilton is top quality, priced anywhere from $50 to $3800, made in the USA. Frankly my "bench vise" is one I picked up one at HF and it works fine. Is anything at HF made in USA?

http://www.cpowilton.com/wilton-vise...d=wilton+vises