Thread: Cambered block plane?

Cambered block plane?

This is my first posting on Sawmill. My neighbor gave me a block plane which I have been restoring and cleaning, finding that I could possibly use it. The iron has "True Value" stamped on it and I'd rather keep it instead of replacing it. As I began flattening the iron, I discovered that the corners would take forever. Upon closer inspection, it seemed both of the long edges may be rolled a touch, as though it was designed that way--a cambered iron. I didn't think that would be done for a block plane, that it be for a smoothing plane. I have the Veritas Mk. II but without the camber attachment. Not seeing the need to spend money for that just yet. I would suppose my question is: was that really by design, and if so, is it really necessary to clean/sharpen those cambered corners? Any feedback to a forum rookie would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Dwight,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate a location. If you are near my location we can set up a meeting if you like to show you different aspects of this or other questions you may have.

Here is a link to my post on cambering a blade:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t-Finally-Came

Only one of my block planes has any blade camber. It doesn't really effect its use much.

Is your block plane low angle or standard angle?

Pictures are always helpful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm a little confused as to what you're discussing, as you talk about flattening the back of the iron - a purposely cambered iron would present itself more when working the bevel side, right?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I'm a little confused as to what you're discussing, as you talk about flattening the back of the iron - a purposely cambered iron would present itself more when working the bevel side, right?
    Many of my used plane blades came to me with a relief on the non-bevel side. It Has the same effect as a cambering without having to put an arc on the blade.

Works with bevel up and bevel down blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have had one iron from a block plane that had a cambered edge,like a jack plane's. It was a Sargent brand I think. I have als had a few block planes that the irons have been in place a tad bit too long, and bowed in the middle. I'll look around for that sargent plane picture...SDC12727.jpgSDC12728.jpg Wasn't much of a camber, but it was there. I also had to use an Allen wrench to take the dang thing apart. Sargent/Fulton/???

I hadn't gotten that far, sharpening the bevel side. But yes, I'm sure the profile of the cutting edge will present itself. I anticipate the corners to be rounded. Perhaps that will supply the relief for doing what a smoothing plane should do. I'm a beginner with some of this here.

Thanks for thoughtful responses. Good to hear from seasoned vets. No pictures; it's at my company's shop and I won't be back there for days. Standard angle.

Since I use block planes for fitting joints,I would never camber the blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Since I use block planes for fitting joints,I would never camber the blade.
    One of my block planes came with the back flat in the middle and below the surface at the sides. It took too much time to get it flat, so it was given up on about half way through. Eventually the blade will get sharpened enough for the bevel to reach back to the flat all the way across.

Other than that, the plane works well.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-29-2012 at 1:00 AM. Reason: cleaned up wording

I'm finding the same case here, Jim. I just going forward with it as is to use as a smoothing block plane. Why not? Another tool to increase the variety. I like variety. Thanks for your time and responses, guys.
    djk