Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw riving knife design

table saw riving knife design

good evening ww's
    this morning I asked about splitters for table saws and some possible types that are out there. Some of those who responded mentioned that some european saws use riving knives. Well as I looked at my table saw I realized that what I thought was a missing splitter was a missing riving knife ( for those interested my saw is a rockwell / delta RT-40 ).

So I have come up with what some folks showed me in their responses and I wanted to get some feedback from the group before making the little guy. What you see are just cardboard mock ups. The red one is sort of skinney and the orange one is a little stouter. I am only running a 12" blade at this time so things look a little out of proportion. The saw is made to take from a 12" to 16" blade so the riving knife holder is held in a slotted fixture. I took some of the advise offered and tried to make the knife no taller than the blade.

thanks in advance
    lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like original equipment, Lou. Very nice.

Greg

Lou,
    That is the correct shape. years ago I woked with a guy that was German and he had a similar one with a board monted on top. This helps with kick back. The knife should be just under the blade kerf in thickness.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi mark

which one looks better ? I am tending toward the orange one.

My blade is 0.125" thick and I was going to make the riving knife about 0.120" is that too tight?

lou

Orange one, Lou...the other one will be "too delicate" for the job. I'd actually make it even "deeper" behind the blade for maximum stiffess. You really lucked out with that RT being designed for a riving knife!! Wonderful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think the gold one is better. I will Mic my Beismeyer and give you the thickness...I am BBQing at the moment. If you have Tage Frids Book he has a picture of his on page 21 or 22...it is similar to the old one I used 30 years ago. Maybe Fritz and Tage went to the same school in Europe?
    Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    Hi mark

which one looks better ? I am tending toward the orange one.

My blade is 0.125" thick and I was going to make the riving knife about 0.120" is that too tight?

lou

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Orange one, Lou...the other one will be "too delicate" for the job. I'd actually make it even "deeper" behind the blade for maximum stiffess. You really lucked out with that RT being designed for a riving knife!! Wonderful!
    hi jim
    thanks for the feedback.. I feel sort of stupid that for the last 3 years I had no idea what that darn thing was for! I was also thinking about making "deeper" in the back so it does not get bent somehow.

The reason that I have started to give this safety thing more thought is this semester with my young student will probably be the time he starts to learn how to use the TS. I think that having this riving knife installed will be a big help with my worry. Maybe I will post a new thread asking for advise in teaching the fundamentials of teaching about a TS.

lou

Lou,

It is 0.1 inches. I think that is good. You should bevel the curved part toward the blade...like a dull knife to allow easy entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Lou,

It is 0.1 inches. I think that is good. You should bevel the curved part toward the blade...like a dull knife to allow easy entry.
    thanks mark.

I was worried that if I made it too thin it wouldn't do its job. Looks like a good job for a bridgeport !
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    The reason that I have started to give this safety thing more thought is this semester with my young student will probably be the time he starts to learn how to use the TS. I think that having this riving knife installed will be a big help with my worry. Maybe I will post a new thread asking for advise in teaching the fundamentials of teaching about a TS.
    I applaud you for your forethought on this subject. Should I be so lucky that "A" and/or "J" become interested in woodworking someday, safety will always be where things start and where things end.
    --

Does the knife move with the blade or does the blade come up under it and the relationship between the knife and the blade change with blade height?

CPeter

Okay, I don't get it. What's the difference between a riving knife and a splitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    Okay, I don't get it. What's the difference between a riving knife and a splitter?
    A riving knife follows the blade up and down as it's adjusted for height and stays exactly the same distance away from the blade...it's attached to the same stuff that the arbor is and moves with the arbor in all directions. A splitter only tilts with the arbor and is closer or farther from the blade, depending on where the blade hight is set. It does not move up and down with the blade.

I guess technically you could call a riving knife a splitter...but the terms kinda are used to differentiate between there capablities.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    A riving knife follows the blade up and down as it's adjusted for height and stays exactly the same distance away from the blade...it's attached to the same stuff that the arbor is and moves with the arbor in all directions. A splitter only tilts with the arbor and is closer or farther from the blade, depending on where the blade hight is set. It does not move up and down with the blade.

I guess technically you could call a riving knife a splitter...but the terms kinda are used to differentiate between there capablities.
    I did not know that.
    I love this place, I learn something new everyday.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Lou

The orange one looks more the part. Most original riving knives have some sort of arrangement in the top (hole, slot etc...) which is used to mount the blade guard. Also the mounting slot at the base includes some adjustment capacity.

The following link http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis16.pdf takes you to the HSE (kinda like OSHA) page dealing with table saws. Figure 4 on page 3 tells you about thickness relative to blade.