Thread: Restoring a contractor saw (and reseating trunnion/brackets)

Restoring a contractor saw (and reseating trunnion/brackets)

I picked up a late 90s Jet JWTS-10JF (708471) with cast iron wings and a Beseimeyer-style fence for a decent deal. It seemed to be in great shape except for the lift and tilt mechanisms, which were really tough to operate and had signs of grinding metal. Since I had to figure out where the issues with the lift/tilt were, I decided to just dissassemble/clean/reassemble to whole saw.

Jet emailed me the manual (the saw is labeled a JWTS-10, but really its identical to the -10JF). Disassembly was straightforward enough. I used lacquer thinner to remove all of the old grease/oil/dust build-up, wiped contact surfaces with isopropyl alcohol. Then used paste wax on the trunnion contacts and white lithium grease on spinning parts and the worm gears. The worm gear shaft for the lift mechanism had definite grinding between the shaft, a washer, and the eccentric barrel (?) that holds and adjusts the shaft. Sanding and polishing the shaft and barrel and replacing the washer fixed that issue. I’ve also installed the PALS.

I’m at the point of reassembling the trunnions and trunnion brackets and have a question. Everything goes back together, the lift and tilt mechanisms work great, except the front trunnion doesn’t quite sit fully in it’s bracket.

If I remove the rear bracket, I’m able to get the front one fully seated, but the whole trunnion/arbor assembly is then angled towards the saw table (downward as the saw currently is, upward when upright) such that it won’t fit into the rear bracket.

I can’t get the two brackets to both fully seat the trunnions. My latest attempt was to use c-clamps to hold the front one to its bracket, then install the rear one — the front just slipped right back once I removed the clamps.

The photo with the red arrow shows the gap/unseated trunnion.

Is there something I’m missing here? Is it seated well enough? Does it sound like the front trunnion bracket could have warped?

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Mulvahill; 11-25-2017 at 9:41 PM.

Was it fully seated before you disassembled it? Does it work as-is?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

It was fully seated before (90% sure) and there was a loud and obvious shift/pressure release when I first loosened the bracket bolts.

As it is now, the lift and tilt work great. I haven’t yet set and tested alignment and my main concern would be it suddenly shifting into place under load.

You may want to shim with aluminum foil?

Matt

I have that same saw, and 8 or 9 years ago did what you are doing, for the same reason. I don't remember having any trouble re-assembling it, but I did it differently than you are doing.
    I had the top removed from the sheet metal enclose and inverted on the work bench. Everything seemed to line back up properly when I put it back together, and I aligned the trunnions with the top being off the sheetmetal, then re-installed the whole thing.
    You might consider removing the sheetmetal box so tat you can see easier. It's also a whole lot easier to align it. with no interference. That one bolt on the front left, from the back, is a pain to get at.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-26-2017 at 1:35 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I had a similar issue with my long gone contractors saw. (Delta 34-444, USA made so similar but not exactly the same). I had to remove the trunnions and enlarge the mounting holes to allow a tad bit more movement. I also debured the surfaces of both the table top and trunnions to allow easy movement instead of everything jumping back into the old position. I did not have the "pals" but used c-clamps. (The "pals" would have made things much easier for me).
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!