Thread: Abranet HD sanding rolls for Jet 22/44 drum sander, what width?

Abranet HD sanding rolls for Jet 22/44 drum sander, what width?

I'm going to order some Abranet Heavy Duty for my drum sander, wondering whether to get the 2 3/4" or 4 1/2"? Is there an advantage to going either way in terms of performance?

What kind of surface does this leave compared to standard roll abrasives? What do you start with to clean it up

I also saw something about the possible need to adjust the pressure bars because the "paper" is thicker than regular sandpaper rolls. Is that necessary? Has anyone tried the hook and loop conversion kit yet? I saw some talk about that too. Thanks in advance for any clarity on this.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Cannot help you with the drum sander question, but I sure have been happy with the Abranet RA sanding disks.

Nobody???

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Dan - just wondering where you're going to get the paper. I have a 22-44 and these abrasives sound like a very good (albeit expensive) deal.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I'm going to order some Abranet Heavy Duty for my drum sander, wondering whether to get the 2 3/4" or 4 1/2"? Is there an advantage to going either way in terms of performance?

What kind of surface does this leave compared to standard roll abrasives? What do you start with to clean it up

I also saw something about the possible need to adjust the pressure bars because the "paper" is thicker than regular sandpaper rolls. Is that necessary? Has anyone tried the hook and loop conversion kit yet? I saw some talk about that too. Thanks in advance for any clarity on this.

Dan
    I use the 2 3/4 rolls...easier to wrap and manage. It leaves the same surface as new 80grit...maybe a little smoother. Still, my clean up is normal...120...180/220 etc. The huge win is that it doesn't seem to ever load up and burn, so the REAL cleanup work is always a little easier because the surface is never botched up.

You will have to adjust the pressure rollers a little bit lower. Follow the directions, but maybe come up 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more than specified. You set the rollers with the sandpaper out, BTW, so during a change is a good time

Haven't tried hook and loop yet, but I have the Grizzly kit here. I am a little concerned it will make it too thick and the rollers may not work correctly. I don't know, and I don't know anyone off the top of my head that's done it.

So John where are you gettin' the paper....er, screen?

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    So John where are you gettin' the paper....er, screen?
    I don't remember. It was either Mirka-Online or Beaver. I think it was Beaver, actually.

What keeps the abrasive from abrading the drum? would a couple of wraps with duct tape be in order?

Thanks for the reply John, very helpful. Is it the "mesh grip roll" (linked to below) that we are after?

Here are a couple of sources:
    HD5BG001803R, Mirka Abranet Heavy Duty 2-3/4 in. x 33 ft. Mesh Grip Roll 80G, Qty. 1 | Beaver Industrial Network

Mirka HD-Series Abranet Mesh Abrasives - Achieve Outstanding Results on the Most Challenging Applications – SMSDistributors

The Heavy Duty is available in 40, 60, and 80 grit, has a backing which serves to protect the drum from damage.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Thanks for the reply John, very helpful. Is it the "mesh grip roll" (linked to below) that we are after?

Here are a couple of sources:
    HD5BG001803R, Mirka Abranet Heavy Duty 2-3/4 in. x 33 ft. Mesh Grip Roll 80G, Qty. 1 | Beaver Industrial Network

Mirka HD-Series Abranet Mesh Abrasives - Achieve Outstanding Results on the Most Challenging Applications – SMSDistributors

The Heavy Duty is available in 40, 60, and 80 grit, has a backing which serves to protect the drum from damage.

Dan
    That's the one, yep. I read somewhere that someone wrapped packing tape around the ends for some reason, but I haven't done that. I just slapped it on there.

Thanks again, order is going in.

Dan

-Woody Allen-