Thread: Advise on an old English Walnut

Question Advise on an old English Walnut

In the process of prepping to build my new house, I am going to have to take down an old english walnut. it is about 46 inches in dia 1 foot up from the ground, and has the typicla walnut umbrella shape with limbs up to 14 -16 inches in dia. when the time comes, how do I make the most of the wood?

Carl Zietz

Resaw, sticker, and wait.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'm doing the exact same thing right now with a 300 year old white oak. I haven't decided if I want to make slabs out of it with a chainsaw mill, or get it cut into quarters on a chainsaw mill and then have a band saw mill quartersaw it.

Man how I wish we had more than Ponderosa Pines and Englemann Spruce. With the exception of a real bagel, about the only thing I wish Colorado had that it doesn't is hardwoods.

Enjoy that walnut, Carl....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Resaw, sticker, and wait.
    Bill
    +1 The flatter you stack and sticker, the better your results after the waiting.

Buy some sealer ahead of felling, and apply to the ends of your logs that same day. The sealer is waxy and the resaw will slice right through it without issue, and does a pretty good job of minimizing end splits in the log and boards.
    http://www.uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal