Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8" jointers, PM, JET, Grizzly?

Grizzly has sales right now on Byrd Heads, for 250 i bought a 6" for my Ridgid, gonna make that last till next xmas and go for something bigger. I was bidding on a PM 8" with a helix head on Ebay, went for 1130 and change. I was 1105. Wonder if the winner is on here?

Sorry for the error on the cutterhead price, i did it quickly and picked the first 8" head. i still think that's the way to go, or find a used one in the $400-$500 range and upgrade the cutterhead.

Thanks to everyone. I'm going to look at CL and strongly consider the Byrd head with the Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Grizzly has sales right now on Byrd Heads, for 250 i bought a 6" for my Ridgid, gonna make that last till next xmas and go for something bigger. I was bidding on a PM 8" with a helix head on Ebay, went for 1130 and change. I was 1105. Wonder if the winner is on here?
    Thanks for only bidding 1105!! I am going to get it on Tuesday. I have bought a ton of stuff from those guys at a fraction of retail. I really didn't think I would win as I think my max bid was $1135. I decided I would buy Grizzly for anymore than that.

I looked for a year on Craigslist for an 8" jointer, and was able to score an Invicta-era DJ20 for $200 (gloat!). As the blades were shot, I purchased the Byrd head from Grizzly during their last sale for $325. So, the deals are out there. I just missed two DJ-20s prior, each went for around $700, but they were in excellent condition.

There were a couple broken parts on my DJ20 - the rabbeting shelf and the lock handles, and there wasn't a dust collection fitting. I ordered those parts from Grizzly (for the G4090 - 25% of the cost of the same parts from Delta) and, guess what - they all fit perfectly! Knowing that, and as long as the tables are reasonably flat, I really think the G4090 with the Byrd head is the best option for a new jointer.

I do business with several Chinese manufacturers, and given what I've seen, I would not be one bit surprised if the current DJ20 and G4090 are made side-by-side in the same plant. It is after all a jointer - not a milling machine - and after the tables what is most important is the cutter head.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Avery View Post
    Thanks for only bidding 1105!! I am going to get it on Tuesday. I have bought a ton of stuff from those guys at a fraction of retail. I really didn't think I would win as I think my max bid was $1135. I decided I would buy Grizzly for anymore than that.
    You suck! I was going to go higher, but with tax, and 600 mile round trip it was getting out of my budget, but for 30$ I could have made it happen. Let us know the particulars, I had asked them about the cutting head, but no more info given. Hope it's in perfect working order!

I have had a G0490 for 8 years now. I was worried about the China motor when I bought it but it is still doing fine. I changed the pulleys and the belt to the newer link belt system and this was a huge improvement in noise. Before I changed that it sounded like an old maytag washer. I also bought a Byrd head to replace the steel blades. This is now a quiet and extremely smooth cutting machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Carpenter View Post
    Thanks to everyone. I'm going to look at CL and strongly consider the Byrd head with the Grizzly.
    Hi Dominic,

This is a useful search tool: www . searchtempest . com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Hi Dominic,

This is a useful search tool: www . searchtempest . com
    Thanks, Carol. That is a nice search tool. I'll keep looking for a few weeks, nothing within 400 miles of South Bend right now. I'm starting to consider a jointer planner combo based on my space (sharing a 2 car garage with my wife's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Carpenter View Post
    Thanks, Carol. That is a nice search tool. I'll keep looking for a few weeks, nothing within 400 miles of South Bend right now. I'm starting to consider a jointer planner combo based on my space (sharing a 2 car garage with my wife's car.
    Certainly something to consider if you're space limited. I have a Jet JJP-12, it fits in a 2' X 5' space. I got mine from this guy:

http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus...._p/708-475.htm Free shipping including liftgate. Mine drop shipped from Tennessee.

The Grizzly sale runs out in December. But who knows what will show up in January. There is not much available used in Kansas, so I just buy from Grizzly. Have had my G0609 for several years, no problems. I ordered the Byrd head, only downside with the Byrd is you cut down your capacity by 1/4" and you can't do rabbits on your jointer.