Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lumber prices

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Littlefield View Post
    Dustin, where in Houston? I will be visiting there next week and just may grab some of that.
    Brazos Forest Products

Are these rough sawn or S2S?

The prices are comparable to what I pay for rough sawn around here... Add around $2 or so for S2S lumber, but I prefer rough sawn anyway.

I had better than 4000 feet of oak,cherry,poplar and walnut sawed out on a portable band mill for 22 cents a foot. This was blown down timber from hurricane Ike and an ice storm.
    I have another stack of logs that needed harvesting ready to be sawed. I guess about 2.5 to 3 thousand feet. Its white oak and walnut mostly. At three to five dollars a foot I might have to find a different hobby.
    There is a burr oak that is dying in the bend of the river. Its 10' 6" in circumference and at least 140' tall. I think burr oak is about like red oak? I think it would be worth sawing.
    I have a new ported 576At and a 30inch bar that I really enjoy running. I should cut it before the limbs die in the top.
    I think the price at a saw mill on poplar is down to about 40 to 60 cents a foot. I will ask the loggers at breakfast tomorrow about the price they are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Does Heacock sell kiln dried, or only air dried? I've been going up to Wehrung's Specialty Woods to get lumber. Prices seem okay, but I think all of the stuff there is kiln dried. I don't have a moisture meter...
    Everything except the maple is air dried, and as I said log run so there's going to be waste. It's also not planed at all. Their building is heated to perhaps 50 degrees during the winter which helps with the moisture somewhat. I bought a moisture meter some years ago. There's another place in New Britain called Ambrose Randa which has rough K.D. wood. He can plane lumber if you want. I haven't been there in quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Everything except the maple is air dried, and as I said log run so there's going to be waste. It's also not planed at all. Their building is heated to perhaps 50 degrees during the winter which helps with the moisture somewhat. I bought a moisture meter some years ago. There's another place in New Britain called Ambrose Randa which has rough K.D. wood. He can plane lumber if you want. I haven't been there in quite a while.
    I think a coworker of mine picked up some QSWO from Ambrose Randa a few years back. Easy for him since he literally lives right down the street. Never been there myself; might have to stop by sometime. Same for Heacock: never been there either.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve, in addition to Randa in Chalfont, Heacock north of Plumsteadville, and Willard Brothers that you are familiar with, there's a dude near Oxford Valley Mall (I forget his name now), Wherung's Specialty Woods in Ottsville and another smaller operation great for slabs on Old Lincoln Highway just below Danboro. There are probably other local places I haven't discovered. For a long time, I bought outstanding air-dried cherry from a man in Lambertville, but he passed away a few years ago and his inventory was sold to Willard. (where they promptly doubled the price) These days when I buy lumber (I work a lot with poplar and walnut off my own property) I tend to buy either from Hearne way down in Oxford for cherry or "special" woods or pick up incidentals from Wherung's Specialty Woods. I haven't been to Willard in quite a few years after someone made me unhappy, but from the looks of their Facebook posts, I guess it's time to revisit them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've gotten almost all of my lumber from Wehrung's Specialty in Ottsville, mostly rough but some S2S, along with some plywood, mostly BB. I've never heard of Willard; certainly heard of Hearne, but never been there. Aside from Randa, my coworker has also gone to a place in Doylestown off Old Easton Road (not Doylestown Lumber). He said it's hard to find, the hours are random, and the selection does tend to vary; I haven't bothered to try to find it yet. I stopped over at Niece Lumber in Lambertville once a few years ago and the prices seemed very high, so I haven't been back.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Burr oak is in the white oak group.

Logger said today that a good butt log of poplar is 40 cents a foot but second log goes around 20.
    Red oak butt around 60 cents. Some mark up by the time a woodworker gets it.

I know burr oak does not prune itself well like white oak. So it will probably have more knots. But my still be nice like knotty pine?

If you're looking to compare lumber prices Hearne Hardwoods has their prices online:
    http://hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods...pricelist.html

Jim, are most of those other places you mentioned little places that mill wood as a side buisness, or are they real lumberyards? I'm over in NJ and usually make the trek down to Hearne, but I've gone to Mr. Roberts in Barrington, NJ some too. I lvoe that place as they have the price of the board on every board, makes it very easy to figure out how much I'm spending. I've gone to Hearne a few times planning on spending $200 and getting a bill for $500.

Steve, the place on Old Easton Road can be found by looking for the sign that's a slab of wood about two feet or so in size...on the right hand side going north toward Danville after passing the new construction homes that are on the left side going in that same direction. There are two driveways there if I recall and the one for the lumber operation is the more northern one...you go back a few hundred feet and it turns to the right toward the buildings. If I recall, they specialize in slabs. Willard Bros is just off Rt 1 north of Trenton on Basin Road. They are not as involved as Hearne, but do have a nice selection. Lately, they've been doing a lot of commercial furniture work with natural edge slabs for a restaurant up in Lambertville NJ.

I have bought sheet goods from Wehrungs Specialty Woods, but typically order from Industrial Plywood in Reading...they deliver to our area on Thursdays for $25...and I can get really nice veneers for the same or better cost. Since I office at home, it's usually not a problem to get a delivery with some pre-planning to avoid business travel.
    --

If you go to Hearne then you must know about Groff and Groff?
    http://www.groffslumber.com/

They have prices online and always have a good selection in my experience. Also they usually have 4/4 common cherry for $1.50 bf, 100 bf min.

Rob, Groff has a good reputation and I know folks who really like them. I personally haven't visited them yet, however. I actually haven't been to any lumber dealer, including Hearne, in some time. The majority of the projects I done in the past couple of years--tack trunks--have used "inventory" for solid stock and I've only had to source the veneer sheet goods commercially. That unfortunately changes soon as I'm nearly out of walnut...all of it cut on my property back in 2000...and very low on cherry, much of which came from Simmie Agan (deceased now), Hearne and Willard.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-23-2012 at 9:16 PM.
    --