Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Tool

Home Made Tool

Greetings everyone.

Usually at Christmas time I get a little more 'shop" time and like take some of that time and make myself a special tool.

What I am wondering this year, is what 'home made' tool do you USE, that you just can't do without?

I would suggest that each response is limited to just one tool. I know how hard this will be for some of you and you know who you are!!!

I have a lot of 'stuff' I have made over the years, but MOST aren't my "GO TOO Tool.

I'd love to add one more that I would actually use, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Here are a few pictures of the one I use the most.
    IMG_1357.jpg
    It's a fine detail tool very loosely based on one that C Drozda uses and sells
    IMG_1355.jpgIMG_1356.jpg
    The business end as you can see it was tempered and I have not yet ground all the 'color" off.
    Thanks for looking!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I don't have a photo but my go to tool this time of year when I'm doing a lot of small spindle work on ornaments is use a small homemade skew. It's just basically a 1/4" dia 6" long piece if 1/4" HSS drill rod in a homemade handle and ground to a skew. But I love it for fine detail work.

Thanks for the idea Curt. I used 1/4" round drill rod to make the tool above and have some left over so I'll probably try to make a small skew like you did. Do you actually use it as a skew or more like a scraper or ????. What angle did you grind the skew to?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

005.jpg This is probably my most used homemade tool Peter, like you said I'm one of the guys who has allot of them.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

i use old planner blade and convert them into skews and parting tools. The steel is quite good and will hold a edge for longer than standard high speed turning tools.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks for the idea Curt. I used 1/4" round drill rod to make the tool above and have some left over so I'll probably try to make a small skew like you did. Do you actually use it as a skew or more like a scraper or ????. What angle did you grind the skew to?
    Peter. I'm not one to measure or fuss with things like angles. I don't use sharpening jigs but hand grind and sharpen all my tools to what looks like it will work well for me. And sometimes I modify them for a specific task. But yes, I use this one as a skew. It works well on small spindles because the "catches" are smaller and less damaging. And the fact that a piece of drill rod is just a couple bucks means you can do a lot of experimenting without ruining a $50 tool.

Good looking tool Peter. I am like Curt and use a 1/4" skew on most small stuff. Great on small finials, etc.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My home made "Go-to tool" is a parting tool made from a Sawsall blade and set in a Bocote wood handle. I use it all the time.
    Currently working on a point tool using a high grade steel from a Engine valve guide reeming steel rod. (the rod has carbide blades on the tip for precisely reeming the valve guides). I will bury the carbide inside the handle.
    Currently making a little triangular wood block to hold the tool for precisely grinding a triangle shape. I hope to achieve the pointed version like Cindy uses.
    Your tool shown above looks very precise. Well done.
    Peter F.

I like 3/16 oland tool

I use these carbide tipped hollowing tools and handle.002.JPG005.JPGhandle.jpg

Peter, mine is about the same as yours. I bought a 3' section of 1/4" and 3/8" annealed 'O' steel and took it to a club function - we cut it up into lengths and several people took point tools home. We ground one and heat treated it and tested with a magnet until it lost magnetism and quenched it. We then had it put in an oven to temper - preheat the oven to 450, IIRC and then after an hour let it cool down slowly in the oven. Takes and holds a good edge.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

It’s more of a tool for tools…
    About a foot long to be able to tuck it under your forearm. Easy to chuck up your three pointers, small skews, allen wrench hollowing tools, …….without having a ton of handles.
    This is the ¼” chuck but I have a ½” also.
    I use these folks for the “high speed ground round” or “ground square” under “tool bits”
    ie In the round HSS 1/2X8 is $6.95 and 1/4X6 is $2.10
    http://tool.wttool.com/search?w=tool+bits
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

My favourite homemade tool has to be my 3/8 (10mm) round ended scraper made out of round bar, my dad used to work for a steel mill that supplied a lot of "special steels" to the nuke power industry and this scraper is made from a piece he was allowed to take home, and this stuff is tuff, I made it around 5 or 6 years ago and use it very often and in those 5 or 6 years I have only sharpened it a handful of times, my dad says it had a lot of cobalt in it as well as other things, it's a great tool and always kept within arms reach.

Hey Mark. I bet you can find it in the dark!!!!
    Pete

My input to tool "design" in my box lid lip finisher. I simply sharpened the left side on my 1/2" flat scraper. Using the tool, I can get a 90 degree lid lip in 1 attempt. I only use it for that 1 application. I modified one of my old Craftsman chisels.