Thread: From a large pole barn to

From a large pole barn to

a Dungeon? Pole Barn owner is helping me move my shop from his pole barn to this...SDC13827.jpgSDC13828.jpgSDC13833.jpgSDC13859.jpgWon't be room for the tablesaw down there. Still need to move two other benches down there. That is the back of an old dresser, still has some drawers (stuck) in front. Need to run some lights, and maybe an outlet or two. I do have a couple "power saws" to help out, though..SDC12778.jpgSDC13379.jpgfirst one is a 6-1/2" trim saw, second one is a 7-1/4" circ saw. Still need to find Igor......

This is a small basement. There is a "Root Cellar" included as well. The root cellar has a lot of shelves in it, so a lot of the junk boxes are getting stuffed in there. I have to share this space with a washer/dryer set, a gas furnace, and a gas water heater. Kind of tight down there. Just three light bulbs for now.

I see that you have a nice dry space to turn into a working shop. Paint the walls and get a decent workbench. Cut a piece of plywood to fit over the washer and dryer. Then send us some new pictures with the dimensions.
    Last edited by Gary Breckenridge; 12-19-2012 at 2:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Breckenridge View Post
    I see that you have a nice dry space to turn into a working shop. Paint the walls and get a decent workbench. Cut a piece of plywood to fit over the washer and dryer. Then send us some new pictures with the dimensions.
    Agree 100%. I work in a basement. It was dark and depressing. I spent several months removing junky paneling and a floor tiles, painted the walls a nice off-white, and ground the floor and painted that, too. It is nice being down there now.

Looking like the area I'll have to work in will be......12' by12'. Need to find storage for a lot of boxes of stuff from the old house.

I can relate, Steven. A few years ago, I had to move out of my rented "shop mahal". It was about 1000 sq ft with an additional loft space of 240 sq ft for lumber storage. Lost my lease on it and moved to an 8 by 18 "office" space in a local warehouse. Only thing saving my butt on that one was that I could store as much as I wanted in the warehouse, free. Let me tell you, it was a shoehorn fit to get all of my tools in there and still be able to move my fat butt around! Presently have a 16 by 24 shop that I'm pushing myself out of. Man, I gotta stop accumulating stuff!!
    John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

I have already downsized the fleet of planes. Who need 14 block planes, anyway. Now down to just five, I think. Five #3s? five #4s? Now down to two each. Still have three jacks, and a "Super jack", and a couple #6s on the active roster. A #7 and a #8 are inactive right now, just too heavy for me to work with. Tablesaw will have to be in storage, for now. I do have a couple Vintage circular saws, and a few handsaws. Most of the tools with cords are benchtop types. It is them benches I have to find room for.

With all the rain today, i now have a couple water courses going across the floor, heading for the single drain. Note to self: Keep everything toolwise put UP above the floor, as high (7') as i can.

Spent so time down there today, trying to build a little project....SDC13957.jpg I'll be moving my wood working bench from the old shop in a week or two. I miss that bench! Did get a few things roughed out..SDC13955.jpgSDC13956.jpg broke a bandsaw blade. found a couple "F" clamps that don't. I did get one thing done today, though...SDC13958.jpg made a lot of shavings, and sawdust! The saw on the floor is now my tablesaw. Not enough room for the big one.

Good luck. Bright colors, noise control and dust control will help.

I'm going the opposite way, from a 15x15 shop to 5,000 sq ft of warehouses. Almost too much space.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves