Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing FWW

Changing FWW

I started a recent thread on FWW's poor advice on handplane tuning, and with others have been encouraging the editorial staff (esp. Matt Kenney and Asa Chistiana) to remedy this situation (and save folks potential grief and $$ on screwed up planes). There is a very high profile response that will appear before long. In the mean time, one of the editors offered that:

more voices of concern = more vigorous response from FWW

We grouse about FWW in decline; here's how we can help change that:

Fine Woodworking Editorial: 800-309-8955; fw@taunton.com

Calling is no stress and super effective, just ask for Matt or Asa, or let Betsy find you a suitable person. Email is also effective. It doesn't need to be long, they just need to know we care.

As a community based magazine, they want to know--let's help 'em keep the quality high.

Apologies for the activist tone, I'm working on it in counseling;-).

Pat

Well,if you can also do something about some of Pop.Woodworking's articles,full of misinformation,we might be making progress!! I quit taking that magazine because they sometimes let amateurs write articles. There's nothing there for me. And,when I pointed out errors,I got no response,except for 1 guy who said he only worked with machines,and couldn't comment about hand tools.

There is also the clique factor. I think some magazines don't like those not in their clique stealing their thunder. That's just my impression,for what it's worth. The U.S. Army didn't like the advanced,superior tank suspension that an outsider (Christy sp.?) invented,adopting a "not invented here" attitude. Before WWII,he sold his patent in Europe,and the Germans and Russians built tanks much better than ours with his patents. That sort of thing . Today,we do use that system,now that the old patents are long expired.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-29-2012 at 2:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    The U.S. Army didn't like the advanced,superior tank suspension that an outsider (Christy sp.?) invented,adopting a "not invented here" attitude.
    I have known members of the Gatlin family whose ancestors changed their name from Gatling for similar reasons. In their case it was due to a disgrace over some thinking Richard J. Gatling had southern sympathies. This was never proven.

Great people are often demonized when they have more sense or vision than those around them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Back to Pat's point.

I will send them an email, thanks for being an activist.

Without activists, there would never be any activity.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Well,if you can also do something about some of Pop.Woodworking's articles,full of misinformation,we might be making progress!! hat's just my impression,for what it's worth.
    Ha! I know what you mean, but just this article is backing up the shop, I'll have to leave PWW for others.

Still, if mags publish and knowledgeable readers grow discouraged and drift away it's a death spiral for the mag and for the craft; more folks will learn poor practices, then share them with friends and forums.

Now that I know they need feedback--and how easy it is to give--I'll respond more often.

Fine Woodworking Editorial: 800-309-8955; fw@taunton.com Lay it on 'em, gang!

Thanks Jim, every contact helps.

Pat
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-29-2012 at 4:37 PM.

The problem isn't so much with the editorial staff, it's the scope of readers.

When noobs like myself get started, it's the most beautifully photographed, stepwise monthly.
    The fact is that there are really only six types of projects most homeowners will make (or at least I can think of)

Chairs/Casework/Tables/Bedframes/Display boxes/Laminated tops

After that, there's just so much in the way of refinement to bring across.

I applaud FWW for bringing in newer methods with simple jigs.
    I fault their dependence on power tools.

When I was shown that it is possible (although considerably slower) to make furniture by hand, it was a moment of liberation.

FWW should have three tiers available - rank beginner/advancing enthusiast/accomplished builder.
    It's tough to be all things to all readers.

I do wish they would concentrate more on the artifacts and less on the artisan.
    Given that the latest Tommy Mac article is just the NBSS student tool box, his stuff is a let down.

I don't need accessible, I need my skills tested, thank you very much.

I'm finishing up a piece that will be included in Popular Woodworking Magazine next year. I guarantee a similar piece hasn't been in the magazine, or Fine Woodworking for that matter, to date. I can't hope to teach you anything, George, but I hope you'll at least get a kick out of seeing something new!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

All hobbiest magazine publishing suffers from the same problems no matter what the hobby. Nowdays first and foremost is the need to compete with the internet. Add to that spiraling publishing (printing) and mailing costs and life has become very difficult in the last few years.

More to the subject however is the constant challenge of keeping long time readers satisfied as their skills advance while providing for appropriate matter for those new to the hobby and seeking basic instruction and knowledge. A former magazine editor-in-chief friend told me long ago that the half life of a subscriber was usually around 3 years. This accounts for much of the repetitive articles you see on choosing a ____, how to cut dovetails, etc, etc. I suspect that editors tear their hair out trying to find new authors and new approaches to the same types of articles. To us the readers though it just seems like the same old stuff over and over. On the issue of accuracy of the article in question I can't comment since I dropped my subscription to FWW about 4-5 years ago. I still think it is a good publication, it just no longer met my needs.

All I intended to get across is the idea that publishing fresh information and making the decision as to what is or is not accurate is musch more difficult than many believe. As an author, how well would you like haveing your article criticized for many things that are a matter of opinion? Equally, how efficient and complete can your article be when presented with restrictive limitations on length? I for one know that my skin is not thick enough to withstand a constant barrage of criticism.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I agree Dave,but there is a difference between opinion and fact. And,if the clique doesn't want to respond,I'll read elsewhere. By the way,the criticism I submitted was my one and only one about one article,written by a person who would not have qualified as a first year apprentice in the trades program in the museum. With all due respect for magazines,if you don't like criticism,it's kind of like get out of the kitchen if it's too hot.

I was in public for 15 years,so I have some idea of what it is like dealing with them. With all the beautiful work hanging in the shop,some one would occasionally focus on the fact that I bumped a SMALL carving tool with my wrist a few times,and that was all they could dwell upon. Another time,an old duff with a bad attitude asked "What's that little plane made of?" Brass. "I thought only the Chinese could cast brass!!" "I guess ALL those books I read were WRONG!!!!". I couldn't find words to deal with that fool. He was bullying me with his age(which I think he felt gave him the semblance of having attained knowledge.) I forgot brass candle sticks,brass cannon,and the Geddy Foundry down the street!! What can you do with such profound ignorance? It could get rough,for sure,but this is the risk when you are dealing with the public. I dealt with it. The magazine has to deal with it,too.

I think a magazine that puts itself forward as a reliable source of information in a field like wood or metal working has a duty and an obligation to not mislead the readers who PAY to read it. It needs those on its staff who are qualified to look over articles and correct them if necessary. If the staff hasn't a person qualified in a special area,it should not undertake to publish such articles.

I saw several very incorrect articles in a metal working magazine years ago. When I contacted the editor,his reply was that he "Had not labored in the vineyard!!!" WHY was he publishing this magazine? To sucker those less informed into paying money to read t? That's just not right.

Zach: I'm sorry,I won't see your article since I quit subscribing to PWW some time ago. I still subscribe to FWW. Got to see SOMETHING about my interests!!! Maybe I'll someday write for them. So far,the spirit hasn't moved me,and I'm a BAD photographer!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-29-2012 at 6:10 PM.

I also agree that Pop WW has not been as good as it has been in the past. I think both magazines are spending too much time and space on the WW that is just starting out. It seems like it's article after article of how to cut a dovetail, M/T joint, I can do that projects, etc. I want to see a bit more in the way of technical information aimed at the WW who's well beyond all that stuff. I'm learning new stuff about WW everyday and none of it seems to be coming out of these magazines anymore. My favorite part of FWW is the reader's gallery which I wish there was more of in both magazines. I love seeing the work that is being put of there by all type's of WW's. I think Woodwork magazine is the probably the best magazine out there at the moment. They don't have quit enough how to articles but I do like reading about other woodworkers and how they got where they are. Actually the last Pop WW was similar and was the first Pop WW mag I have ever read from front to back.

I couldn't agree more,Tony. Every magazine and coffee table book out there is geared towards cutting your first dovetail. There are obviously more beginners out there to sell magazines to than there are advanced craftsmen. That has to be it.

I guess that's true George but what happens to the all the craftsmen that is well beyond wanting to see how to cut a dovetail joint. They apparently stop wanting to read magazines aimed at their craft, or so the publishing companies think. I mean how many beginning WW's are there every other month?

I can not even imagine trying to publish a wood working magazine. You will never be able to satisfy everyone and you need to satisfy enough to stay in business. I am certain that a magazine that is for the beginner or early woodworker would never satisfy George. He has probably seen and done everything.

I would love for a magazine to be 100% accurate and only publish things I am interested in at my skill level. This will just never happen. If it was that way, I would not be able to afford it.

I look for a magazine that shows a few new tools, fair tool reviews, a project that I want to build or modify and maybe some ideas on jigs. The one thing that bothers me is that there is a clear connection between some magazines and certain supplier of woodworking supplies. How do you trust their reviews?

The only woodworking magazine I look forward to anymore is "The Gristmill" published by the Midwest Tool Collector Association. The articles are about tools, but at least they are educational and informative.