Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambrosia Maple Platter

Ambrosia Maple Platter

I picked up a 17"x17" AM blank up from my wood pusher in NC before I moved out here. I finally have a lathe big enough to swing it, so turned this platter today. The final diameter was just under 17". This blank had a little of everything; spalt, curly, worm holes, a little burl, lots of AM staining and an odd red'ish stain. I tried a different finishing technique on this, dry sanded to 180 then wet sanded with Dr Woodshop Walnut Oil at 220, 320 then burnished in a coat of Dr Walnut oil with Wax. I'll let you be the judge of the finish, I like it. Thanks for looking, comments and criticism appreciated.

Ambrosia Maple Platter Top.jpgAmbrosia Maple Platter Bot.jpg
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Wow! The wood is absolutely stunning! Tons of character and the simple form really lets it shine! Excellent job Nate!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Excellent turning of some outstanding wood! I would be getting any more of that wood if possible!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

4. That is a beauty, Nate......lots going on with that maple. Nice form and unusual finish....really pops the grain features!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nate,
    That is wonderful platter,, and made even better with a great pick of such a fabulous piece of Maple. Well Done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

You calling those of us who are kind enough to give people wood "wood pushers"? Hey, you better not lose that guy's number. That's some prudy stuff right there! Great platter, too!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks like you're putting that monster lathe contraption to good use. That's a great platter and, as others have said, the wood is out of this world. How much did your finish technique change the color?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

This is the kind of wood we all dream of getting out hands on. The platter is beautiful because the wood is beautiful. But... it is also beautiful because it is perfectly understated. It's not easy to show that much restraint. Many of us would have "done too much" with the end result that the piece and the wood ended up competing with each other. You did this one perfectly.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks all for the kind comments,
    @Doug, it darkened it up quite a bit, but really made it richer. Here's a WIP pic
    Platter Roughed.jpg
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 12-16-2012 at 9:49 PM.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    Thanks all for the kind comments,
    @Doug, it darkened it up quite a bit, but really made it richer. Here's a WIP pic
    Platter Roughed.jpg
    Look at that. 17" inboard and plenty of room for more! I think you did well with the finish, along with everything else.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

very nice,

what kind of monster do you have there

the blue sort of looks like the color of Sturart Batty's brand that he promotes

Charlie, this is an old school Nichols Lathe, probably built in '02.

cool....nice hunk of iron

Outstanding piece of wood with no adornments to distract from that. Great purchase and great job turning it Nate!

Wow that is beautiful. Great piece of wood and nice turning Nate.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.