Thread: Minwax Sanding Sealer Replacement

Minwax Sanding Sealer Replacement

I just discovered that the old formula Minwax sanding sealer in the yellow can is no longer produced. I am looking for a replacement with similar qualities, mainly in look.

I have some hand carved figures for a nativity set that I have been carving, one each year for the past 6 or 7 years, and am just finishing the last pieces this year. Obviously I want them all to look the same.

The carved pieces are basswood. I have used 1 coat of sanding sealer, rubbed down with paper from a brown grocery bag, followed by a single coat of wood finishing paste wax.

Not looking for a discussion of if that's the best finish or why it was used. Looking for recommendations on what to replace the sanding sealer with so it will look the same.

When I could not find the Minwax I bought some varethane (sp?) water based sanding sealer and it has a white-ish look to it. The original sanding sealer had a glossy look.

Has anyone been using the old formulat sanding sealer and have you found a replacement that "looks" the same?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Have you tried the Minwax replacement product? I doubt that you will find a direct replacement. Very, very few finishers use an oil based sanding sealer any more.
    Howie.........