Thread: Craftsman 21500 oscillating sander vs the Rigid spindle/belt sander

Craftsman 21500 oscillating sander vs the Rigid spindle/belt sander

I am trying to decide between the Craftsman and the Rigid Oscillating sanders. They are both about the same price. I have a drum sander and a belt sander so I am mainly interested in the oscillating spindle bench top sanders. I am mainly going to use it for bandsaw boxes. Is one better then the other or more reliable?

Jo

This is just one person's experience, but I got one of the relatively inexpensive bench top spindle sanders at what I thought was a good price a couple of years ago and oh my, was I disappointed. It's my understanding that they all have universal motors in them - and what a racket they make - much noisier than I expected.

I still wanted a spindle sander with a small footprint so gave in a couple of months later and bought the Jet JBOS-5 bench top sander with the 1/2 horse induction motor. It runs quiet as a mouse and makes virtually no vibrations. It's a high quality machine in a small package. I did make a cart to put it on due to the fact that it's a bit taller than most.

Just food for thought.

I gave the first one away.
    Stan

If you can afford or can keep waiting and saving DON'T BUY THESE PLASTIC TOOLS get a mostly metal tool instead. This is my opion. Why should I spend 200 to 300 on a small plastic unit? I saved my money and bought a Grizzly spindle sander combo disc sander. The spindles are an inch taller than the benchtop machines, plus it has a 1 hp motor. I love it, and expect it to be the last spindle sander I will buy.

4. Fine Woodworking did a tool test on spindle sanders in issue #188. They tested the Ridgid, Grizzley Jet and others, the Ridgid won Best Overall and Best Value awards.

http://www.sears.com/powertec-os1000...p-00935826000P
    The craftsman looks just like the powertec.
    They look like the old Delta BOSS to me. l have the BOSS, it's been a good machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn Duggan View Post
    I am trying to decide between the Craftsman and the Rigid Oscillating sanders. They are both about the same price. I have a drum sander and a belt sander so I am mainly interested in the oscillating spindle bench top sanders. I am mainly going to use it for bandsaw boxes. Is one better then the other or more reliable?

Jo
    I have had the Rigid for several years and love it. Yea, it is a universal motor but it's inexpensive and gets the job done. The oscillating belt sander attachment is to die for. I woodwork as a hobby. If I was a pro and had plenty of floor space I would certainly go with the big dogs but I have never regretted the Rigid purchase.

Jack

Which also looks like the Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Benc...g-Sander/G0723

Wood magazine had an article on the 5 benchtop tools they'd buy in a heartbeat, and it listed the Ridgid. It commented on the plastic parts and light duty motor but concluded that at the price, you would have to "...burn up two or three of these to exceed the cost of one floor standing sander." And, as others have pointed out, its also an oscillating edge sander to boot.
    Last edited by Ruel Smith; 12-18-2012 at 6:02 AM.

My Ridgid has served me well. I'd buy it again.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    My Ridgid has served me well. I'd buy it again.
    Bill
    Same here.
    I don't understand the noise complaint. They're quiet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Same here.
    I don't understand the noise complaint. They're quiet.
    Thirded. And I agree on the sound. I think it is a very quiet machine.

And I'm number four. The Ridgid is quiet. This is what happens when you make the generalization that all tools with a universal motor are loud. My Fein vacuums have universal motors, too!

I think it is well worth the price even if you buy other sanders later. I bet you put the belt on it and leave it there even if you buy a big spindle sander later.

#5 for the Ridgid.
    I used mine for the first time Saturday.
    I'm glad I sprung for the extra bucks over the one Menards had for ~ $100 that lacks the belt sander.

The one real advantage that I see with the Ridgid is the oscillating belt option. I HATE using my spindle sander for convex curves, you can never get is fair with no divots. A belt sander with Platen would help enormously. I have a plastic ryobi OSS and it works fine, would I like a different one, sure, but until mine dies, it's stayin. My dad has the ridgid and it is a nice machine. No experience with the crafstman, but most of those machines come out of the same factories with different color plastic.

Ryan

Santa came early this year. I decided after reading your reviews to buy the Rigid from HD. After bringing it home I set it up immediately and it was so easy . It worked right out of the box. The only thing I had to do was to level the table 90 degrees to the belt sander as it was slightly off. It is very quiet and does a very good job of sanding using the miter slot with my Incra miter gauge which fits the miter slot perfectly. The only thing I am having trouble with is getting the belt to track evenly on both rollers. It keeps moving down on the left side or riding up on the right side. But I will keep working at it and hopefully I will eventually get it to track evenly. I also like how light weight it is and can easily be moved if needed. I am just getting into bandsaw boxes and I am sure I am going to be using this sander a lot. Thank you all for all your input and helping me make the right decision.

Jo