Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics--any ideas on the 2009 F150 power steering hose?

Thanks Steve--didn't know that was available. I've got that bookmarked for future reference!

I go to our public library and they have online links to factory repair manuals

Gets more interesting. I stopped at a small town Ford dealer in mid-Michigan today on my way through town. Parts definitely hard to get. More so now since he said that Ford apparently recalled any of these hoses dealers may have had in stock this morning. However he did give me a part number that supposedly will fit but looking at the drawing, even if the ends fit, there's no place for the power steering pressure switch.

I checked with my major aftermarket parts supplier, and they do not list the 4.6L's hose. They don't even show it in the pipeline (which generally has info about 2-3 months out), so it doesn't look, at this point, like anyone outside the Ford supply chain is tooling up for it. Sorry. I was hoping to PM you with a hose, but that ain't happening.

Maybe it's the Mayan's fault.....

Well, the good news is that I drove what would generally be a lot for me in a week and the level in the reservoir only dropped about 1/16" to 1/8" so the leak is very slow. I think I'm going to take the advise that now 2 dealerships gave me and keep an eye on it. I also think I'll place and order for the part at the closest dealership and at least reserve my place waiting for a new one.

If I had to as a temporary measure, can I run without the PS pressure switch? As I understand it bumps the engine RPM up slightly when the pressure goes up at full lock to prevent an engine stall. Obviously that could occur when parking, but not likely a significant safety issue.

Can you see the leak? Can you get something over it? I'd at least try silicone tape (not sticky, but sticks to itself), followed by a larger-diameter piece of rubber hose slit down the length and clamped over the leak (put 2 clamps side by side right over the leak).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

It appears to leak at the crimps where rubber meets steel. I read one theory that they can't handle the pressure at full lock so I've tried being conscious of that but with a full size extended cab truck in most parking lots that can be easy to hit. Basically when I discovered it the entire rubber sections were coated in an oil/dirt mix. At least the leak seems to be slow enough that the accumulated dirt soaks it up

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    If I had to as a temporary measure, can I run without the PS pressure switch?
    Yes you can, we have done that in the past on Chevy's that we could not find the exact hose for.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

.....At least the leak seems to be slow enough that the accumulated dirt soaks it up
    We called that "sweating". Just keep an eye on it, as you've been told. I wouldn't waste time with a band-aid fix. Not sure where a Ford system runs, but it's hard to contain the high pressure side.

While I'm not familiar with American vehicles, could the "non-standard" fittings be metric ones? if so you may be able to source your hose from overseas.
    Just a thought.

One end looks to be a small plate.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried these folks?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

The last repair on my truck was using a part from them at a very reasonable price.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One end looks to be a small plate.
    My guess would be that connection is sealed with an o-ring. Somebody with specific Ford knowledge can pipe in, but I'd bet an o-ring is held down by that plate.

Blog Entries
    While I'm not familiar with American vehicles, could the "non-standard" fittings be metric ones? if so you may be able to source your hose from overseas.
    Just a thought.
    This reminds me of the days of owning Volks Wagens. People that didn't know better would replace the fuel line hose with American 1/4" hose. VW used 6mm hose. The hose would slip off and could cause a nasty fire. Many people called it a design flaw in the VW. To me it was always a brain flaw in people who didn't realize the rest of the world was metric.

Instead of sourcing the hose from overseas, you may be able to purchase it from a foreign car dealer.

In my area there are two equipment stores that sell and make custom hydraulic hoses. One uses Parker fittings the other, if my recollection is correct, uses Gates. If this was my problem and all other sources have been exhausted, I would at least give them a call. If there are a lot of people out there looking for the part, one of the local hydraulic shops has most likely already been asked. Either they can or they can't. If they can, they may want to make a lot of them for the local independent repair shops that would love to do the work on these.

Somewhere there has to be a design drawing on this.

Also, searching the internet is easier with complete model information and a part number.

There are many avenues to results on this kind of issue. A loud lawyer who will work pro bono just to make a name could be a great ally.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bet Henry Ford is rolling over in his grave. When a company has the opportunity to use common, off-the-shelf parts, they should.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore