Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics--any ideas on the 2009 F150 power steering hose?

Mechanics--any ideas on the 2009 F150 power steering hose?

I discovered that the power steering pressure hose on my 2009 F150 is leaking. Not sure how long its been leaking--i didn't notice it on the last oil change but thats been months. Apparently this part is on back order because the supplier went bankrupt. No aftermarket part is available. Any options other than waiting and hoping it doesn't blow? I've read of people waiting months.

I've read "take the hose to a place that makes custom hoses." Are they really going to be able to match the ends which are not standard threaded ends? Or can they reuse the metal parts? I'd REALLY hate to tear it apart to find that they can't do anything for me since both ends look to be a bear to access for removal.

This is a very common vehicle so it seems likely you could find a part somewhere unless this issue has been around long enough to clear out the stock. I'd check every parts source I could think of (including dealers in other states that will ship parts), check eBay, and then call up the wrecking yards. Winter is here so keep calling the wrecking yards after every storm. Sometimes the fittings can be re-used so yes, call a custom ship and see if it is even an option. If all else fails park it by the road the Ford dealership owner takes to work with a sign that says Ford can't supply parts so you've purchased a Chevy/Dodge/etc then go get you a $1000 pickup that can get you by till your truck is fixed.

Supposedly there are 2500-3500 people waiting for the part if you can believe what you read on Internet forums. Used might work to get me by if it gets worse. NTSB has quite a few complaints on it so hopefully something will happen there soon. I also have an inside source doing some checking for me.

Thankfully there isn't a shortage on '06 6.0L EGR valves. While I was at the dealership today picking up my truck I noticed a sign saying they were looking for trade-ins on pretty much all '08 and newer trucks. It's a bit extreme, but if you had been thinking about trading in soon then they might take it.

I just did a quick check and see people complaining of this starting about a year ago. What an astonishing failure to provide support for a nearly new vehicle that is having a part fail prematurely with pretty high frequency.

Why would the NTSB be involved unless failing steering hoses are causing loss of steering and potential crashes?

As far as Steve's comment, dealers ALWAYS says they are looking for trade-ins. I've heard they make more money on a used car than on a new car.

What makes it so special. Take it to a hydraulic hose repair shop and have them make one up. Also race car suppliers may be able to make a custom hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    What makes it so special. Take it to a hydraulic hose repair shop and have them make one up. Also race car suppliers may be able to make a custom hose.
    According to Matt's first post the connecters appear to be custom. Ford may have also used non-standard hose diameter. I think companies do this on purpose so you have to get replacement parts from them.

Our Boy Scout troop has six Coleman three burner propane stoves. The hoses fail pretty often when abused by preteen and teenage boys. I tried to get a local propane place to fix the hoses, but Coleman used a non-standard hose diameter. Coleman wants $50 for a new hose for a stove that only cost $81 new! (The stoves are now discontinued and we really like them other than the hoses.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Why would the NTSB be involved unless failing steering hoses are causing loss of steering and potential crashes?
    Apparently there have been reports of that. Then again there could be some "normal" hose failures mixed in with leaky ones. There's obviously a certain percentage of hydraulic hoses that just fail due to defects in the hose or external damage by road debris, etc. The leaky ones it appears that they leak from the crimp area between the steel sections and the rubber hose.

The pump end appears to be a threaded connection but the rack end looks like it is held in place by small plate--can't see if that's a clamp or part of the hose. Actually, really couldn't see it at all last night--more like felt. Ironically that's the end that's probably easier to get at but I just can get to where I can see it clearly and I didn't have a small mirror handy or enough light to use it.

I talked to someone at my dealership this morning because the reason I discovered this leak is because I also have a leak at the transmission's electrical connection which is another common issue covered by a TSB. That's covered under the powertrain warranty so I'm letting them do that one for sure. He also said there's an aftermarket hose available but couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me who. I know its not available through Napa, O'Reily, Autozone, or Advance Auto. I've got one more place I can try when they open this morning.

In the mean time, he said drive it and keep an eye on the PS fluid level. Nice.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-18-2012 at 8:13 AM.

What engine does it have and is it 4wd

2wd, 4.6l 24v

If I can't find a new one or a a "close enough" part (I read there may be one from Napa but couldn't find any info on it) I have a place that can "probably" either build a whole new one or reuse my metal parts and fix mine. Problem with that whole idea is that I have to tear it apart and take it to them to see. Then as long as they can do it they can probably turn it around same or next day. I'm going to make some calls to junk yards -- err Automotive Recyclers--to see if I can a good one I can put on for now or bad (but not wreck-mangled) to take them for copy/rebuild. What a mess.

How are hydraulic hoses crimped to metal lines? I see crimped on metal shells around the hose. Are those part of the hard lines or a separate piece that's crimped over the metal line and hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    How are hydraulic hoses crimped to metal lines? I see crimped on metal shells around the hose. Are those part of the hard lines or a separate piece that's crimped over the metal line and hose?
    I'd think finding the ends to make a new hose would be hard. The "crimped" part of the line is actually part of the metal end. I've never seen them reused as the rubber part of the line must fit inside the new end. Once it is crimped it cannot be reused. Doesnt look like the aftermarket has started stocking this part yet?? It sucks to have to be dependant on the dealer for a backordered part. My experience with Ford and backorders is usually pretty good though. If it's not a severe leak I'd try wait it out, they may have a new one for you sooner than you expect.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

One other question--anyone have access to a service manual for this thing that can get me instructions? Looks straight forward but its always good to check.

If you can't find a manual and don't want to pay $180 for a copy you can subscribe to an online version of it with Helm Inc