Thread: Pen Kits

Pen Kits

It's been a couple of years since I've turned anything, even longer since I've visited the creek. I've been thinking about getting back into some pen turning at least and I'm wondering, is Craft Supply still the place to get pen kits? Have any new vendors popped up in the last couple of years?

Any input is appreciated.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Penn State Industries is where I bought the last kits. They have a lot larger selection
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

3. http://www.woodturningz.com/Pen_Kits.aspx

They sell PSI kits at reduced prices........have good sales, and with the 3 orders I have gotten from them to date, the customer service has been stellar!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Arizona Silhouettes (now in PA), Bear Tooth Hardwoods, Smitty's, Exotic Blanks -- All great suppliers on price, quality and service. Check the Classifieds at IAP.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

arizona silhouettes now in pa????????did they move?

Also BereaHardWoods.com, dayacom.com.tw (tiawan), Kallenshaan Woods for Inlay pen kits, All three advertise in the American Woodturner. Oh yes, Woodcraft and Packard both sell kits as does Klingspor's. There may be others out there, but I think that we've about covered it.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have ordered from all that are listed. But I have a big gripe with Penn State Ind. It takes them SOOOOOOO long to ship. My last order (12/11) sat in que for 5 days... Last 3 orders range from 3-5 days leaving the warehouse. It wouldn't be a big deal but most of the time I need the stuff fairly soon. Most companies ship by the next day and I expect normal transit times. No more PSI for me.

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    arizona silhouettes now in pa????????did they move?
    3430 Progress Drive, Suite C, Bensalem, PA 19020
    Business hours
    : Monday - Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM
    Closed on Saturday and Sunday
    267-332-0007 Eastern Standard Time

I agree with Peter about Penn State. Also, I have found Berea's customer service to be absolutely horrible. I order all of my pens now from Craft Supplies (the artisan line of pen kits are superb).

Woodturningz and Arizona Silhouette are both small re-sellers who offer excellent prices and outstanding customer service!

Noah

PSI is the worst place to get pen kits from...ask a pen forum. Berea is fantastic...I spent 30min on the phone with Joe last week and he personally boxed my order and said "it's in the mail" CSUSA is always stellar. Barry Gross bought AS a few months ago. Service seems good. IMHO...Woodturningz kits are poorly made. Having to replace 12 of them, it's a trend. After over 1800 pens, it's good advise.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

"arizona silhouettes now in pa????????did they move?"

Bill sold out to Barry Gross. I think the business is in good hands.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe