Thread: Custom Made Router Bits

Custom Made Router Bits

I am trying to recreate a molding for a Spicebox project. I have attached pictures of a Spicebox and the top molding that I want. I started the box in a woodworking class and just finished it at home. The molding measures 1 1/8" tall X 3/4" wide. Note in the picture I marked the cove as 1/2"..it is not. The radii are not constant but increase slowly in the curve in both the cove and round. I started out thinking of ways to do this by hand and still may go with a combinations of router bits for the rough out, and then make a scratch stock scraper to finish the molding. I am wondering about a custom made router bit. Do any of you have experience with having a bit made to a drawing? Just wonder what the cost range is. I have started to look into making hollows and rounds but I am not ready to do that yet. I just ordered videos on the process of making those planes. I may also ask the school if they would custom cut the piece for me depending on the price of other options. It is more fun to do this yourself of course. You can see more pics of the Spicebox in the neander forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Magnate will make special order router bits based on a drawing or sample. Shaper or moulder knives can also be custom ground at a very reasonable price. If I were doing this, I'd have a moulding knife made for my woodmaster and go from there.

Ryan

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I would either make a set of knives for a shaper or order them out depending on the amount of moulding I needed. But if you want to get a router bit made, contact Bobby at Woodworkers Tool Works. He's made bits for me and I'm very pleased with the tooling. But, be forewarned- it aint cheap...

We would be happy to give you a no obligation quote.

sales@carbideprocessors.com 800 346-8274

There are an awful lot of standard router bits inthe world. You might take a look at some of the hundreds we offer. With a little creativity some folks get beautiful and unique results for a combination of 2 or more.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.