Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Bases - Build or Buy?

Mobile Bases - Build or Buy?

I have a need for three mobile bases, 6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, and 17" drill press (with plywood platform). I am torn between buying three bases or building them. The pluses I see to buying is less time devoted to building bases and the stationary stops are usually built-in. However, at $40-$60 /ea it may be worth devoting a little time to building them. I don't like the locking casters, they still seem to slip, so a good home-made option for making the bases stationary may sway me into building them. Any thoughts, opnions?

Thanks,
    Mike

I bought mine. They work well enough. I have all the stuff to make my own though, but it's time I would rather spend on other things. Searching out proper casters, making sure I have the right welding wire, changing the breaker box to swap my wide belt breaker back to welder outlet, etc.....

Michael,
    If you're rolling on concrete you will be hard pressed to beat the price/performance of Grizzly's shopfox super-heavy duty base. It's the one with the metal wheels.

Of course, since you will be sourcing 3 units it might be more of a question of how much you value your time. You might be able to save a little money, but it won't be much. Especially considering the time investment you will put in. Also, if you change equipment later you can move the purchased mobile base or sell it. The custom job is probably 'stuck' with the machine it was designed for unless you want to cut/weld again (unless you add in features to make it universal).

-Brian

Todd, That's kind of the way I'm leaning. I have casters and most of the parts, but it seems like there is no simple (time, money, and convenience) solution for a homemade stop. The one on my Shop Fox base uses a threaded screw with a swivel "foot" similar like on a leveler. Something like this may be doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Michael,
    If you're rolling on concrete you will be hard pressed to beat the price/performance of Grizzly's shopfox super-heavy duty base. It's the one with the metal wheels.

Of course, since you will be sourcing 3 units it might be more of a question of how much you value your time. You might be able to save a little money, but it won't be much. Especially considering the time investment you will put in. Also, if you change equipment later you can move the purchased mobile base or sell it. The custom job is probably 'stuck' with the machine it was designed for unless you want to cut/weld again (unless you add in features to make it universal).

-Brian
    Another good point Brian. I haven't thought about the versatility. All of these machines could be changed/upgraded at some point.

I you make them, you will not save any money money. I never have but that is not why I make all of mine. I make mine because I don't like any that are commercially available. I like all 4 wheels to swivel and fully lock.

I have made several for my own use. Did I save any money, definitely not if you figure my time in on the deal but I think I have mobile bases that work better than ones you can buy, they last forever and they are heavy duty. Jared

I like to build them but I have the capability of welding them. Some others and I came up with what I think is a great design that we can build for about $50-$75 when purchasing materials in quantity, depending on what's available at the local steel place in drops.

IF you have a stick welder and side grinder, make your own! I have made custom bases for my PM66 table saw, 20" planer, and other lesser machines. Some, I patterned from HTC's Tricycle bases. Others I made to my own specs.

Because my steel was obtained at scrap prices, I could enjoy the economy of using my own time to make them. Hobby time is not like "real time" in a business setting. Do not include it in the pleasure you get from making something exactly as you want it!

Great deals on commercial casters can be had on eBay. I bought 4 Colson 2x4" swivel casters for $20, for a mobile base for my Woodmaster 38" double drum sander. It is huge, and they support it so fine!

~~Woodchipz~~
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

This video shows a mobility method that is hard to beat for simplicity, stability, economy.
    I've also improved on that a bit by using bed casters from thrift stores, usually get them for $.50 each. Scored some free on a trash day roadside grab of a bed frame.
    Cabinet_Wheel_Adapter_Blocks.jpg

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

I have the mobile base off my Delta tablesaw, you are welcome to it. But we are aways apart.

Someone here shared the idea of making your own mobile bases without wheels. Instead of wheels design your base so you can use a mini pallet jack to move your machines around. This is what I intend to do in the future, I already purchased the pallet jack and I use it more that I thought possible already.

Blog Entries
    I welded up a couple of mine, fun to do. Did a cheap fix for my jointer. used a HF furniture dolly under it. Works well and rolls only when pushed.

how are the harbor freight ones these days, I remember they had a decent clone of the Delta base, but as usual, when HF has something good, they do away with it.
    $40.00, get it for $32.00 with a - 20% coupon.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-...ase-95288.html

Lumberjocks review seemed to like it.
    lumberjocks.com/reviews/product/2679
    And this one
    woodtalkonline.com/topic/7333-harbor-freight-mobile-base/
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-19-2012 at 8:42 PM.